Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend is currently an MTS user and would like to switch to Rogers to get the iPhone4. How can you get the subsidized price when you order off apple.ca?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
You can't. You need to go through a carrier to get a subsidized price as they're the ones giving the discount.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Actually, you can call Rogers ahead of time and set up all the account info. Then simply buy the phone from Apple.ca and call them back to activate and set it up after you get the phone and they will apply the discount to your bill. I had to do this with Fido in order to find a phone. I was only entitled to an early renewal discount of $250 but it worked fine. I just won't have to pay my bill for a few months until the credit runs out.

The easiest would be to buy from an Apple store though. They will set you up right there and discount the purchase at the time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's good to know.

Thanks!

I wish we had an Apple store in my city. The closest one is 2 hours away.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Arcanum, is that true? I had no idea that was a possibility.
I am all over that now - I'm so sick and tired of forlornly going into every Rogers I pass, desperately asking about an iPhone4, only to be given that exasperated "We'd love to help you out, but we just never see more than 2 or 3 at a time, and when we do, they're gone within the hour" look.
And I just can't afford to hang out at Rogers or follow the Purolator truck around all day to see when (or if) an iPhone might show up there.

This gives me some hope of actually seeing one in the near future. I can carry $400 for a few months while the credits get used up on my account. Nice to know - thanks!!

·
Registered
303 Posts
It is a way bigger pain in the butt than just buying through a retail outlet, but at least it gets you the phone. I haven't seen the credit applied to my account yet - it has only been two days since I got the phone, but the person in retentions assured me it would come.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So you can buy an factory unlocked iPhone from the Apple store and Rogers will apply the rebate to your account? I don't know why you buy a locked one from Rogers for the same deal.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I am with Fido so I can't speak for Rogers, but I would assume they would be the same. My deal was through the retentions department. They are, apparently, the only ones authorized to sell you a phone through Fido itself, but they had no stock so I was told to go find a phone and they would apply the credit once I called back in. The CSR even said to try Apple online if a store didn't work. The credit still hasn't posted, but I am confident it will.

·
Registered
303 Posts
My confidence is gone. Apparently the CSR whom I had originally spoken with was wrong and they will not honor the discount for online sales. In my case I am out $250. It has to be done through a store to qualify for the discount. They did give me a $5 per month credit for a year - but that is $60 so big deal. I am not a very happy customer at the moment.

Sorry to steer anyone in the wrong direction - I had the wrong information though.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Ya, I was really surprised to hear you got that information.
There is no way they will apply a subsidy to online orders on apple.ca
Fido.ca, that's a different story, but I don't believe they currently sell the iPhone 4 on Fido.ca

You can however go to an Apple store and do the upgrade for the discount.
If cost is your issue Arcanum, simply return the iPhone to Apple and repurchase under the discounted price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts