Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
11,372 Posts
Public Mobile sells US roaming as an add-on. There are various packages available that cost from $8 to $20. They cover most of the continental US and a small part of Alaska. The packages only last 10 days so a long term US stay would be expensive. In that case, it would be better to sign up with a US carrier. US talk and text is $15 for 10 days.

· Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
If I go to the USA, I'll forward to my cell to my Fongo number. I usually get 1 GB of data for $20 for 10 days, and then use Google Hangouts dialer or Fongo if I need to make a call (which is rare).
I get inbound texts for Free and then I'll reply via email/ Facebook messenger/ WhatsApp.

If I go to Europe, I'll always buy a data-only SIM card upon arrival and use the same methods as above for phone calls.

· Registered
266 Posts
What the heck? The $8 Talk OR Text service for 10 days is gone....now it's only $15 for 15 days of talk and text( or $30 for an additional 3GB data). ??????
Actually I find that a big improvement having the period of time be 15 days instead of just 10. My trips are usually about 14 days, so was forced to re-purchase a second 10 day plan but only use 4 days of it.

A bigger concern though is that Public does not support Voice Over LTE which means only T-Mobile is available for voice calls in the US ( other carriers no longer support HSPA). Hopefully Public enables this feature in the near future.

· Super Moderator
4,580 Posts

· Registered
285 Posts
My bad. I thought we were able to use those minutes while in the US cause they were international minutes.

Another option that is free if you are willing to comprimise to just WiFi calling is the use of Fongo. Fongo has a free app you can use on your phone and works off WiFi and can call back to Canada. People may not like that idea however there is free WiFi in pretty much every store you go to, restaurant you go to... pretty much everywhere. I've used it in the States no problems!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts