Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

PSN Video Store coming to Canada (now here)

14K views 87 replies 30 participants last post by  dgour98 
#1 ·
I watched the Sony E3 press conference, and I heard them say that they were finally bringing the Video Store to Canada on July 1st.

While they did not discuss the quality of the offering, it is a positive step.

Cheers

#3 ·
Most excellent! This is great news in light of the fact that I just upgraded my PS3 to a 320Gb hard drive, which is twice as big as my AppleTV :)

iTunes is about to get some competition in Canada at last. Hopefully they will bring their prices in line with the US store...

#7 ·
over 800 titles for download so far, over 400 in hd. some for rent, some for own, some for both,
There are 44 TV shows, only 15 in HD

still a bit buggy.

studio selections include 20th Century Fox, Disney, Magnolia, MGM, Paramount, Sony, Starz, and Universal.

#8 ·
"All Movies" is 1252 atm. I kinda thought everything would just appear at once? Has the selection been growing all day?

I would use it as a rental service but the encrypted files makes purchases out of the question. I don't want to pay $20 and have the film tied to my PS3.

#10 ·
Looks pretty cool so far. :)

I only tried the previews, anyone actually rented anything?

EDIT: I heard about the Charlie's Angel promotion... Signed in, didn't get my code yet. Anyone did get it?
EDIT2: It can take up to 10 days to get the code for the free movie, just read on Sony's page...

#15 ·
Re: Charlie's Angels

I don't understand. How do I get this for free?

The fact that you can't begin watching a rented movie within a few minutes is a huuuuge drawback. I'm not sure if I'll be using this service, as my internet connection isn't solid. Too bad, I was really looking forward to this service as I've avoided an AppleTV this long. Bah.

#20 ·
How do I get an email? And why should I have to go to a website to clarify an offer that is advertised on the PSN directly? I'm just saying it could've been explained better.

#22 ·
Edited From press release

More than 1,000 movies and TV shows will be available in High-Definition (HD) or Standard Definition (SD), with movies available to rent from CA$3.99, movies to purchase from CA$9.99, and TV shows to purchase from CA$1.99. The movies are from major studios, distributors and content providers including 20th Century Fox, Alliance Films, E1 Entertainment, Maple Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM), National Film Board of Canada, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Starz Digital Media, Universal Pictures, and The Walt Disney Studios. TV shows will be available from major cable networks and studios including 20th Century Fox, HBO(R), Marvel, MTV Networks, NBC Universal, NHL, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, and Starz Digital Media.

Notable movie titles available at launch include "Alice in Wonderland," "The Crazies," "Earth Keepers," "From Paris with Love," "Hot Tub Time Machine," "Legion," "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief," "Shutter Island," "The Twilight Saga: New Moon," and "The Wolfman." Noteworthy TV titles available at launch include "Astonishing X-Men," "Breaking Bad" season three, "Jersey Shore" season one, Stanley Cup games, and "True Blood(sm)" seasons one and two. Additional content will be added on a weekly basis.

The video delivery service is fully integrated within PlayStation Network, using existing PlayStation Network log-in information and wallet system details. Customers can search for movies and TV shows by name, or can browse categories such as "New releases" and "Movies." The PS3 system's progressive downloading allows viewers to start watching a selection shortly after the download begins. They can also access certain games or other content on the PS3 system while the download is taking place. To find out more, visit:

To celebrate the debut of PlayStation Network video delivery service in Canada, customers who visit the store today through July 14 will receive a complimentary download of "Charlie's Angels."

#23 ·
Note from my previous post

The PS3 system's progressive downloading allows viewers to start watching a selection shortly after the download begins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.