Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
81 - 88 of 88 Posts
With the introduction of PSN video and now netflix, isp's will start to remove their caps entirely. I'd like to see all tv viewing done through the internet - a user pays for only what he wants and will be totally customizable.

With the introduction of PSN video and now netflix, isp's will start to remove their caps entirely. I'd like to see all tv viewing done through the internet - a user pays for only what he wants and will be totally customizable.
And why exactly would they do that? If anything they will leave them as is to collect more revenue or even worse reduce them. Don't forget that the major providers in Canada all have a stake in TV too (cable or satellite). PSN video store, Netflix, Apple TV etc. all have the potential to reduce their TV revenues so they have to collect somewhere else to keep the shareholders happy...

I also don't see our lazy ISP's moving to the 21th Century any time soon. But two things can change that.
1. A new major player enter the market who does not own any interest in protecting cable and Sat TV but is totally dependent on keeping the net going forward. That sound a lot like Google don't you think. In that scenario the major Canadian ISP's will react by either cutting their cost or blow up their cap.
2. Industry Canada with the Federal Justice Ministry grow some and trust bust the whole Communication Cartel. Force them to subdivide and sell off some assets to create real competition!
My money on Google or some other major player forcing our current ISP's to modernize. Because let face it our Federal Government never met a monopoly/cartel they did not like!

1. A new major player enter the market who does not own any interest in protecting cable and Sat TV but is totally dependent on keeping the net going forward.
But guess who owns the wires into the homes? No matter how you look at it, they can hold our advancement hostage.

2. Industry Canada with the Federal Justice Ministry grow some and trust bust the whole Communication Cartel.
Never gonna happen.

It is ironic that my ISP (Bell) has been telling/getting us to access NHL Gamecenter, TMN and other channels now online if we subscribe thru their satellite service.. yet it seems they are cutting down on certain internet subscribers cap limits.

And now that our PS3 does everything, especially movie rentals and Netflix, our cap totals can easily exceed 100-200 even 300GB a month.
They encourage to use their product, yet limit it as much as possible.

If they do that to me, i'll keep their internet but completly drop the TV part. The costs are rising too fast for both right now that it'll come to a choice between both.

To keep this post on topic.. i'd also prefer if the rental costs were lower from the video store. As well today i was forced to reboot the hard drive on the PS3, what would that mean if i had bought a movie?
Can i keep a movie on a seperate hard drive or flash card? Otherwise idon't see why anyone would buy movies if it's lost afterward.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.