Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 40 of 88 Posts
Edited From press release

More than 1,000 movies and TV shows will be available in High-Definition (HD) or Standard Definition (SD), with movies available to rent from CA$3.99, movies to purchase from CA$9.99, and TV shows to purchase from CA$1.99. The movies are from major studios, distributors and content providers including 20th Century Fox, Alliance Films, E1 Entertainment, Maple Pictures, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios Inc. (MGM), National Film Board of Canada, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Starz Digital Media, Universal Pictures, and The Walt Disney Studios. TV shows will be available from major cable networks and studios including 20th Century Fox, HBO(R), Marvel, MTV Networks, NBC Universal, NHL, Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, and Starz Digital Media.

Notable movie titles available at launch include "Alice in Wonderland," "The Crazies," "Earth Keepers," "From Paris with Love," "Hot Tub Time Machine," "Legion," "Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief," "Shutter Island," "The Twilight Saga: New Moon," and "The Wolfman." Noteworthy TV titles available at launch include "Astonishing X-Men," "Breaking Bad" season three, "Jersey Shore" season one, Stanley Cup games, and "True Blood(sm)" seasons one and two. Additional content will be added on a weekly basis.

The video delivery service is fully integrated within PlayStation Network, using existing PlayStation Network log-in information and wallet system details. Customers can search for movies and TV shows by name, or can browse categories such as "New releases" and "Movies." The PS3 system's progressive downloading allows viewers to start watching a selection shortly after the download begins. They can also access certain games or other content on the PS3 system while the download is taking place. To find out more, visit:

To celebrate the debut of PlayStation Network video delivery service in Canada, customers who visit the store today through July 14 will receive a complimentary download of "Charlie's Angels."

Note from my previous post

The PS3 system's progressive downloading allows viewers to start watching a selection shortly after the download begins.

Does someone have information on how to access watching while the download?. It doesn't show up in the "VIDEO" section until it is completely downloaded. If you go to the download area, it only gives you the progress.

I notice that videos from Sony Studios are available for "rent" from PS3 while they are still only for "purchase" from AppleTV. (In this case, "Legion")

And I also notice that PS3 is more expensive than AppleTV.

Just remember to watch your download threshold quota when ordering many video downloads thru PSN. Its a great option to have a PSN video store, but I wish there was no cap to the download as I prefer the HD videos better.

My wife and I rented CRAZIES,not to bad, not sure how long it took to download as i took a little nap but th HD quality was good,no sound drop outs for me,considering that on my cable i do not pay for their HD,i will most probably use it again.

I assume ISP. Sony would never cap a paying customer!

This is great news. I took a peek though it, doesn't seem any different from the offerings on the Xbox 360. Although I don't recall seeing an option for purchase on Xbox. I wish the options for purchase, rent, HD or SD was the same across all titles. I will rent from it for sure though once I get a new PSN card. Not sure about the whole purchase thing though.

This is great news. I took a peek though it, doesn't seem any different from the offerings on the Xbox 360. Although I don't recall seeing an option for purchase on Xbox. I wish the options for purchase, rent, HD or SD was the same across all titles. I will rent from it for sure though once I get a new PSN card. Not sure about the whole purchase thing though.
I don't believe XBox movies work outside the USA.

Uhh, there is an Xbox Live video store in Canada as well, been around for a long time now.
There is however no purchase option on Xbox, however, since PSN's is only for the SD movies right now, I consider it a useless feature. It would be nice if they both had the buy option for HD content.

Not sure what psn store eluders looking at ,mine shows hd prices ,example "alice in wonderland " sd version 19.95.hd version 24.95.Also breaking bad episodes in hd are 3.95 ,while sd versions are 2.95,not all movies are available in hd for purchase yet ,more and more are showing up .The service in canada is only 10 days old ,lets judge it after time!

I checked a few movies and didn't see any buy HD version listed, only the SD. But for renting both were available... I'll have to look at it again, maybe when I first checked not all options were up yet.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.