Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched the Sony E3 press conference, and I heard them say that they were finally bringing the Video Store to Canada on July 1st.

While they did not discuss the quality of the offering, it is a positive step.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Most excellent! This is great news in light of the fact that I just upgraded my PS3 to a 320Gb hard drive, which is twice as big as my AppleTV :)

iTunes is about to get some competition in Canada at last. Hopefully they will bring their prices in line with the US store...

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
There is an announcement on the website as well as on the PS3 itself. Not much details though... It will be interesting to see what they have to offer.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
What do we know about the existing PSN video store?

1. Is it 720p or better?
  2. Do they have rentals, or just purchases?
  3. Are all major studios represented?
  4. Good back catalog, or just newer releases?
  5. TV episodes?

·
Registered
184 Posts
over 800 titles for download so far, over 400 in hd. some for rent, some for own, some for both,
There are 44 TV shows, only 15 in HD

still a bit buggy.

studio selections include 20th Century Fox, Disney, Magnolia, MGM, Paramount, Sony, Starz, and Universal.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
"All Movies" is 1252 atm. I kinda thought everything would just appear at once? Has the selection been growing all day?

I would use it as a rental service but the encrypted files makes purchases out of the question. I don't want to pay $20 and have the film tied to my PS3.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Looks pretty cool so far. :)

I only tried the previews, anyone actually rented anything?

EDIT: I heard about the Charlie's Angel promotion... Signed in, didn't get my code yet. Anyone did get it?
EDIT2: It can take up to 10 days to get the code for the free movie, just read on Sony's page...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I rented Alice In Wonderland today. Says you have 14 days to watch it and once you watch it once it then expires after 48 hours.

Haven't watched it yet but the HD version was 5GB.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Thanks Dezz, I might give it a try later tonight... Still jetlagged in PST time so not going to bed anytime soon...

·
Registered
184 Posts
I rented "taken".

There were a lot of audio drops. Audio source 1 is 2 channel, audio source 2 is 5.1.
It downloaded at close to 1 MB/sec, which is not bad. It still took over 2 hours. Too bad you can't stream it.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Seriously? That will be a major competitive disadvantage.

I also have AppleTV, and i can start viewing an HD movie (720p) within one minute and have never had a dropout. (25MBps cable Internet)

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Re: Charlie's Angels

I don't understand. How do I get this for free?

The fact that you can't begin watching a rented movie within a few minutes is a huuuuge drawback. I'm not sure if I'll be using this service, as my internet connection isn't solid. Too bad, I was really looking forward to this service as I've avoided an AppleTV this long. Bah.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
cooper83: When you go to the PSN store. They will send you an email within 10 days with the code to get Charlie Angels.
Good to know. Why isn't that explained on PSN? I searched for a good 15 minutes on PSN for a way to download it!

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
How do I get an email? And why should I have to go to a website to clarify an offer that is advertised on the PSN directly? I'm just saying it could've been explained better.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts