Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone use this? I've rented a few from here because its cheaper than the rental store, rogers VOD, and especially xbox marketplace for new HD movies. This weekend I happened to have a sick child and so more need of movies.

Movie 1 downloaded starting around 5:30pm Friday, started playing with 5% done and played fine till the end.

Movie 2 downloaded starting around 7:30pm Friday, started playing with 5% done and had multiple issues with buffering (catching up to the download) and had to go watch something else for a while to let it catch up. Really annoying.

Movie 3 downloaded starting around 7:00pm Saturday. Finished at 11:30 Saturday, we didn't even try to watch as it took forever to get to 1% and it was estimating 5 hours to complete. Totally unacceptable.

All movies were HD, and about the same size. Is there a chance this is an issue with PSN being able to handle the load, or is Rogers deliberately throttling PSN downloads on their internet side to push their VOD services on the cable side? Interestingly enough, I had sent an email to complain that their VOD wasn't competitively priced, so maybe they just decided to throttle away their problem.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I have Rogers 25 MB/s service (for another week before I move) and I haven't observed any throttling on either PSN or AppleTV.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If they were throttling, it would likely be consistent. My guess is either PSN was overloaded or your Internet was overloaded in your area. I've heard of similar experiences with NetFlix on weekend evenings.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The internet other than that was fine. Even though the PSN download was crawling, I could get 25mbps speedtest and ended up eventually watching some HD movies off of netflix on the xbox WHILE the psn download was still in progress. It may be that they ramp the throttling up as the overall load goes up on their network, but maybe they should just not sell these high bandwidth packages if they don't have the network to support it when push comes to shove.

I have found several reports of comcast throttling PSN traffic, and many resorting to using a proxy server on another computer in their home to bypass the issue and speed things up by 8 times. I certainly hope that for this kind of money they're not being that underhanded, but they already do it widely to bit torrent regardless of what it is you're going after.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I've had several PSN downloads slow down to a crawl, from updates to demos to video,
when I first got my PS3 it needed an update the second I turned it on, took 4 hours to download, not a great first impression, the 3.0 update took all day

anyway I think the PSN is the problem,

xbox plug in 5,4,3,2,1
never a problem on xbox live, LOL, guess you do get what you pay for

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Xbox live marketplace is 50% more for the same content. Might as well drive to blockbuster at that pace. It seems to me that it is traffic shaping by Rogers - just like Comcast in the US has done.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I think PS3 is the problem. When I use the 360 to watch/download movies, it is fast. When I use the PS3, Its very slow.

Its unfortunate because I prefer using my PS3 since it lets me keep the movies for 48 hours. Compared to the horrible 24 hours that the 360 gives us.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also converting the MS points to dollars shows it is quite a bit more expensive...

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think a lot of the speed with PSN depends on whether you're wireless, or wired. I've found wired to be faster, but I've also not had a huge issue with wireless either.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think a lot of the speed with PSN depends on whether you're wireless, or wired. I've found wired to be faster, but I've also not had a huge issue with wireless either.
nope, I'm wired with 1000Mbps router with 50Mbps internet, and my PS3 downloads can be painfully slow,
streaming to my PS3 I have no issues what so ever

1 - 11 of 11 Posts