Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a H/K avr 1600 receiver and I was looking at speakers.

Options 1)

I can get a pair of almost new alpha B1 monitor for $100. Then I would purchase a Alpha C1 center. I would purchase later a Sub, For the rears, right now I have a pair of Bose Monitor 101 series 2 (6ohms). I can built on this system as I like.

Options 2)

For $500, I can get the PSB Alpha kit intro HT-1 that is:

# 4 x Alpha LR
# 1 x Alpha CLR
# 1 x SubSeries 1 Subwoofer

What are your recommendations?

BTW I love PSB speakers. I have their Atom speakers since 1987.

Thanks,

Intravino

Wha

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
I'm a HUGE proponent of PSB and have been using PSB for at least the past 14 years (including Alpha AV for my studios in Indonesia and Canada, about 11 pairs of them) and have solely recommend this brand of speakers for all my HT clients even the ones in Hong Kong and Indonesia. However, the new Alpha series are just not PSB to my ears. It's quite unfortunate that the new Alphas (in the past 2-3 years or so) don't have the PSB characteristics anymore.

My current set up use PSB Century series.

PS: for the $500 price, however, I don't think you can get a better set.

IMO, of course.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just purchased a H/K avr 1600 receiver and I was looking at speakers.

Options 1)

I can get a pair of almost new alpha B1 monitor for $100. Then I would purchase a Alpha C1 center. I would purchase later a Sub, For the rears, right now I have a pair of Bose Monitor 101 series 2 (6ohms). I can built on this system as I like.

Options 2)

For $500, I can get the PSB Alpha kit intro HT-1 that is:

# 4 x Alpha LR
# 1 x Alpha CLR
# 1 x SubSeries 1 Subwoofer

What are your recommendations?

BTW I love PSB speakers. I have their Atom speakers since 1987.

Thanks,

Intravino

Wha
Hi Intravino - The Atom speakers are from another Canadian manufacturer called Paradigm. PSB is not really a Canadian company anymore, at least not in the same way Paradigm is. It's owned wholly by a distribution company called Lenbrook who also happens to own electronics brand, NAD.

If it's Paradigm you want, consider this - Monitor Atom v6 x 4, CC190 (centre speaker) and the PDR8 subwoofer.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Intravino - The Atom speakers are from another Canadian manufacturer called Paradigm. PSB is not really a Canadian company anymore, at least not in the same way Paradigm is. It's owned wholly by a distribution company called Lenbrook who also happens to own electronics brand, NAD.

If it's Paradigm you want, consider this - Monitor Atom v6 x 4, CC190 (centre speaker) and the PDR8 subwoofer.
Nope, around 1984-1985, PSB came out with a low price speaker with great reviews call the mighty atom.

http://www.royann.ca/sva/PSB%20the%20atom.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts