Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just discovered this site and it looks like the best solution so far to control the PS3 using IR controls....haven't tried one yet, and it's a bit pricy considering the exchange rate. They're currently out of stock but more are due in any day now!

Full IR Control of your PS3 -- All 51 keys and combination keys, POWER ON AND POWER OFF
Both built-in AND user programmable macros for power off / shutdown
Wireless connection to your PS3, works from up to 30 ft (10m)
Easy setup using the ps3toothfairy profile in your Harmony remote -- Fully supported by the Logitech Harmony software
Integrated control of your PS3 with automation systems such as Crestron and RTI
Discrete power control with the PowerTrack feature
Autosensing, wired IR port compatible with Xantech, Niles, RTI, Logitech Harmony RF Extender, and other IR distribution systems
User Configurable operation to support a variety of installation options, including multiple IR addresses
Multiple power options -- USB power cable, AC Adapter (yours or ours, 3.3-12VDC Regulated), or hardwire
Small, about the size of a deck of cards. The ps3toothfairy AND micro AC Adapter weigh just 7oz (200g)
Worldwide shipping

·
Registered
62 Posts
As promised, here is an update on the PS3toothfairy. I finally got myself down to Ogdensburg, NY, on Saturday to pick it up. So far, I am impressed.

It is relatively compact and seems well built. The set-up was quick and painless. I had configured my Harmony One to use it in about 10 minutes. I didn't have download anything for it, the Harmony software already included the PS3toothfairy codes. And registering it as BD accessory on my PS3 was quick and simple.

It seems to have good IR reception also. I was able to hide the PS3toothfairy behind my center speaker and keep it out of sight. It had no problems even without 'direct line of sight.'

There are two issues that may stop people from using this product. The first is price. At 89 USD for an elite unit is pricey. And it doesn't come with an AC power adapter. If you don't have any spares lying around, you can buy one from them for 10 USD. So for a 100 USD plus shipping, it's not cheap. The second issue is that it doesn't have a USB port on it. So you won't be able to power it with a hot USB port on the back of your PVR, PS3, etc. You have no choice but to use an AC power adaptor.

All and all, notwithstanding those two issues, I like it. It works as advertised.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have you tried other solutions before, such as the Nyko Blu-wave? Would you say the extra functionality you gain with the PS3toothfairy is worth the difference between 10-20 CAD vs. 100 USD?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good question. This is the first solution I have tried. I was tempted to try the Nyko Blu-Wave solution but I had read somewhere that you won't get full functionality with it since it's not continuously powered. I don't know that for a fact but it made sense since I don't think the PS3 has a hot USB port.

I agree, it is expensive. At 89 USD, I didn't have to do anything to the unit. For a little less, you can get a stripped down toothfairy. But it would be up to you to do the work of stripping down your PS3 remote and inserting the relavent parts from it into the toothfairy. I personally didn't want to do that so I splurged on the elite unit.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
No power on/off capability or 'PS' button functionality with the Nyko Blu-Wave solution are its biggest drawbacks. The lower price is obviously its biggest advantage. In my case, my PS3 controller sits right beside my Harmony remote, so I just press the PS button on it to turn the console on.

I really don't understand why Sony doesn't come up with its own PS3 BT<->IR product. If they sell it at the right price point, I would imagine they could make a decent profit on it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I can't say for sure, but I think you get more functions with the PS3Toothfairy (and similar IR4PS3 that I use). It is true they cost more, but the integration is perfect. May not count much for most people, but some of us are VERY fussy about how our remotes work.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use the Schmartz PS3IRX1. It was $35 on RemoteShoppe (will be approx $50 CDN after shipping and taxes).

The PS3IRX1 offers the basic 31 functions and does not offer full 52 command set.

I like this model as it is basically hidden, unlike the other options that are dongles or boxes and does not require any external power source.

This is how I figure it. The PS3IRX1 does not power up the PS3. I usually have to go up to my PS3 anyways to insert the game or blu-ray disc. Then it is hard to map all of the 52 commands on my Harmony One anyways without using multiple screens of soft keys. I do have a full remote from Sony for full commands but you can access every option from the onscreen PS3 menu if need be.

I watch movies on my PS3 from an external hard drive and for the basic play, pause, fast forward features, the PS3IRX1 does the trick. And for shutting off the PS3, you can do that via onscreen XMB menu.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.