Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will PS3 output to component and HDMI at the same time,
basicly want to run my main theater room and my living room tv at the same time off my PS3,

want to know before I buy the cables, was going to buy another PS3, but I tried the remote upstairs and it still works, cables would be cheaper than a second PS3

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
You could also buy an HDMI splitter that will allow the signal to go to both TVs (assuming they can both accept HDMI). Monoprice has a bunch that should work for you.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Geez, you guys just aren't cheap enough. :) I'd carry the PS3 from system to system, especially if on different house levels, rather than running splitter/booster/cable.

It is pretty annoying IME when changing the PS3 from HDMI to component (or reverse) output. They sure made it a pain compared to every other "BDP" I've had, but then the PS3 isn't like any other BDP I've had... If one TV is component and one HDMI, I'd have to think about this more...after all, perfectly functional BDPs can be had for ~$100, if playing BDs is the main use in one of the systems.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I think we were focusing on the "at the same time" part of the post. If it was just having the picture on two different TVs at different times, then yeah, picking it up and moving it is the cheapest option.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ OK, I figured he meant "at the same time" in the sense of both component and HDMI outputs active simultaneously*. So that you could use either display as required. Not in the sense that people were watching the PS3 on displays in two separate rooms simultaneously. That latter *could* be awkward, whoever has the BT "remote" (others hidden!) wins I guess... :)

*[Some other players (such as I have) will do that. But beware, *most* players that can will NOT output a 1080p/24 BD simultaneously over their component (as 1080i) and HDMI (as 1080p) anyway. They will kill the component output when a 1080p/24 BD is inserted if an HDMI connection is established. Why why why? :) (I know why, but I mean *why*.) It's fine for DVD and other non-1080p/24 discs, even 1080i BDs.]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I didn't want it at the same time really, but I want to be able to just turn it on and go, not mess with settings,

not going to move it from room to room either, my main use for the ps3 is streaming, blu-ray second, games 3rd and occasionally the internet,

my wife wants to be able to stream her shows to the livingroom,
while I play 360 down in the gameroom, thats what we call it but its basically the media center of the house, for watching movies, ufc, playing video games etc. all my audio in my house comes from there already, with full control upstairs, eventually I want to upgrade and have video come from there 2 but I just need a temp solution,

I thought using a splitter would degrade the signal significantly?

also can I install multiple blue tooth remote style controllers, I assume its just like having multiple gaming controllers

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ True.

Still might need a booster at the far end of the HDMI cable. Presume we're talking 30'+ here? (Since different house levels, but maybe you're going through the wall/floor very directly and can keep it quite short.) You need to use better-quality HDMI cable for longer runs, and a booster might be needed even then. Hard to say for sure until you try it. You'll know when it's right, the quality will look just as good upstairs and downstairs (displays being equal...).

You can use multiple Sony BT remotes, they are just another BT device to the PS3. I don't know how many BT devices you can pair with one PS3 though, there *is* a limit which I forget (but IIRC we had 6 BT devices going here at once).

Still didn't mention if both displays accept HDMI, kind of important.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
both take hdmi,
it'll be about 15 foot run

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
^ Lucky you. A basic switch and basic cable (maybe 2 cables, one short) from Monoprice (say) and you should be all set.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the living room tv is on the west wall in the north corner of the house, and the media rack down stairs is on the north wall in the west corner right below it, already have speaker wire and ethernet cables running all over the house from the basement, just need to add an HDMI,

but after thinking about it, I would probably go with a 20 footer to be safe, i got a 6' from my pvr to the upstairs tv, its just got just enough slack when the TV is fully extended from the wall and turned, from the pvr I'd probably need at least 10' to make it to the rack and bit more if I wanted to kind of run with my other cables,

anyway, is 20' too long for an HDMI cable without a booster

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
No, you will be fine.

You don't need to wait for that switch. Like I said, just swap the cables at the back of the PS3 when you want to use the other room. That's what nice about HDMI, one cable for everything.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts