Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, the numbers were more dramatic than I expected:

From Jan 4/09 thru Dec26/09, PS3 outsold its competitor by 23%, or 2.25 million consoles globally.

2009:

PS3: 12 004 000
X360: 9 744 000

Since PS3 launch:

PS3: 31 017 000
X360: 31 415 000

Since X360 Launch:

PS3: 31 017 000
X360: 36 580 000

Now, instead of rehashing the points made in so many similar flamed out threads, I'll offer a new perspective: I can really see Sony reclaiming top sales/profit spot in this generation solely based on the fact that its hardware has so much more headroom left in it versus the more tired X360. Neither party has made any money to sink into the next generation yet, so this will be interesting to see play out.

Was X360 right to come to market quicker and gain an early lead? Or was Sony right to sacrifice the photo-ops and early share to come out with a platform with longer shelf life and broader appeal? Anybody with "poll" privileges care to create one?

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'd be more interested in seeing a comparison of game sales per console, as anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that 360 game sales are considerably higher with PS3 owners owning fewer games.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd be more interested in seeing a comparison of game sales per console, as anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that 360 game sales are considerably higher with PS3 owners owning fewer games.
That could be interesting, but if we're counting software, wouldn't we could BD sales attached to PS3?

Again, though, that point and many other good ones have already been fleshed out in other threads. I'm more curious about the end-game.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Assuming Sony continues to chug along as they did in 2009 I believe they will overtake MS, maybe even in 2010.

MS have deep pockets though and I don't expect them to let Sony have their way.

Sony's biggest advantage are it's 1st class, 1st party studios who really cranked out some spectacular games last year. Wouldn't be surprised if MS made some acquisitions this year.

Also, as I have said before: If you had to make a logical choice today between one or the other I believe the PS3 is the best choice. It has many true exclusives whereas many MS "exclusives" can be ran by any decent mid range PC ie Mass Effect/L4D.

Recent AAA sales:

Batman: Arkham Asylum
PS3 1.66M
360 1.33M

Dragon Age
PS3 500K
360 1M

COD
PS3 5.7M
360 8.4M

RE5
PS3 2.72M
360 2.53M

Street Fighter IV
PS3 1.57M
360 1.37M

Keep in mind most of these numbers are BEFORE the PS3 price drop and subsequent flooding of the market with new PS3 owners. 360 is not the software juggernaut it was. 2010 software sales will be more interesting.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I agree with QuickSilver. How could you possibly roll in Blu-Ray sales?

Comparing BD sales for PS3 owners vs other Blu-Ray manufacturers would be interesting (but its not a statistic thats possible to get) as would BD sales vs game sales for PS3 owners (i.e. attach rate for BD vs games; also not possible)

I think if you're going to try an add oranges to the apple comparasin, then you'd have to try and somehow roll in HD-DVD sales, movie and TV rentals and downloads, etc etc.

whereas many MS "exclusives" can be ran by any decent mid range PC. *cough* Mass Effect/L4D
Can you play those on the PS3? Then they are "exclusive" when comparing the consoles, which I think is what most people mean when they say that. Guerilla and Sony could just have easily released Killzone 2 on the PC, and most people would still considered it a PS3 exclusive because it didn't run on the 360.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
At CES, MS said they have sold about 39 million 360's so I wonder where the 2.5 million discrepancy comes from.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Just go down to software sales. The 360 has a 2+ game/console lead right now.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
So here is the numbers I got when I queried total sales for the three major gaming consoles.

Total
  • Wii - 64,382,443
  • XBOX 360 - 36,580,655
  • PS 3 - 31,017,435

So PS3 sold 2 million more than XBOX in 2009. IF that continues then the PS3 will overtake the XBOX 360 in 2013, which is approximately seven years after the Xbox 360 was released. I don't know about you but I sure as hell hope that we will have new gaming consoles coming out by 2013!!!

Interesting but hardly impressive.

What I do find impressive is that the PS3 and Xbox 360 combined just beat out the Wii.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Was X360 right to come to market quicker and gain an early lead? Or was Sony right to sacrifice the photo-ops and early share to come out with a platform with longer shelf life and broader appeal?
Yes, the X360 was rushed with bad hardware in order to grab as much market share as possible before the technically surperior PS3 arrived. IMO, Sony did the right thing to get the hardware right by waiting.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
The real numbers that matter are how much has each company made on the sales of these consoles and I would bet that MS would blow Sony out of the water (is Sony even making money yet on the PS3 hardware?)

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I agree with QuickSilver. How could you possibly roll in Blu-Ray sales?

Comparing BD sales for PS3 owners vs other Blu-Ray manufacturers would be interesting (but its not a statistic thats possible to get) as would BD sales vs game sales for PS3 owners (i.e. attach rate for BD vs games; also not possible)

I think if you're going to try an add oranges to the apple comparasin, then you'd have to try and somehow roll in HD-DVD sales, movie and TV rentals and downloads, etc etc.

Can you play those on the PS3? Then they are "exclusive" when comparing the consoles, which I think is what most people mean when they say that. Guerilla and Sony could just have easily released Killzone 2 on the PC, and most people would still considered it a PS3 exclusive because it didn't run on the 360.
Actually it's not the same at all. If I REALLY wanted to play the Mass Effect series and it wasn't out for the PC I would have no choice but buy a 360 but lucky for me it's on the PC so I don't need to.

If you REALLY wanted to play the Uncharted series you're getting a PS3.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
The real numbers that matter are how much has each company made on the sales of these consoles and I would bet that MS would blow Sony out of the water (is Sony even making money yet on the PS3 hardware?)
You honestly think MS has made money on the 360 hardware......I mean....really?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Actually they have, I remember reading last year that they do make a profit on each one sold while Sony at that point was losing money on each PS3 sold. I'm too lazy to Google search for the article...lol

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Probably. As much as I've enjoyed my 360, its not hard when you piece together a bunch of throw-away out of date computer parts and call it a console, RROD aside.

As a side note, over the same period of time since the PS3's and 360's respective launches, the PS3 has sold 4 million more consoles, http://vgchartz.com/hwlaunch.php?cons1=Wii&reg1=All&cons2=PS3&reg2=All&cons3=X360&reg3=All&weeks=164. This is the number I'm interested in. I'm guessing in another years time it will be a couple million more.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Actually they have, I remember reading last year that they do make a profit on each one sold while Sony at that point was losing money on each PS3 sold. I'm too lazy to Google search for the article...lol
I would probably agree that they sell the console for a profit, a very small one mind you but RROD cost MS over a billion dollers. Have MS made over a billion in profit on the hardware itself? I wouldn't think so but I certainly could be wrong.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ya good point, the RROD fiasco really hurt MS's profits and it would be interesting to see the final profit numbers of MS and Sony since Sony was losing around $300 per unit at launch and still around $200 a unit several years later (I think now they've got it down to a $50 loss per unit while MS is around a $90 profit per unit)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I have to start by saying im NO fan boy, heck I have never played a game on my ps3!

Of course xbox 360 has higher sales numbers as the xbox 360 has a 54.2% failure rate! and how many of those are out of warranty and thus boosting sales?

If you invest in software of course your going to buy the same product even if its poorly made.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
pretty safe to say microsoft turns a profit on live as well,

I think the console wars will continue, and with Project Natal, you may see xbox dipping into nintendos share of the market,
even with xboxs terrible reliability, people still seem to buy it, you'd never buy a TV or car with that kind of failure rate, its got to have something going for it to get all these people to buy and keep buying, but how much has the warranty factor hurt microsoft

ps3 has the blu-ray which no question has a large effect on sales, but how much are they hurting themselves long term slashing prices to increase sales numbers, although I'm sure they are still living large on PS2 profits

I'd like to see a total system loss/profit overall including accessories, warranty cost, development cost, online costs/profits everything,

I'm sure both are in the red but how much will decide if another system is around the corner or we'll be sitting on a current systems for a few more years,

1 thing thats kind of funny about this latest price cut, to buy an elite with what it came with including the cables it no longer comes with it would cost you more, then it would have before the price cut

I have to start by saying im NO fan boy, heck I have never played a game on my ps3!

Of course xbox 360 has higher sales numbers as the xbox 360 has a 54.2% failure rate! and how many of those are out of warranty and thus boosting sales?

If you invest in software of course your going to buy the same product even if its poorly made.
pretty sure it was only the original 20gb that had that high of failure rate, could be wrong,

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Now, instead of rehashing the points made in so many similar flamed out threads, I'll offer a new perspective: I can really see Sony reclaiming top sales/profit spot in this generation solely based on the fact that its hardware has so much more headroom left in it versus the more tired X360. Neither party has made any money to sink into the next generation yet, so this will be interesting to see play out.
This seems to be a common opinion among a lot of people but it's not necessarily true. Multi-platform games still tend to perform nominally better on the 360 (not always but often). PS3 versions tend to have slightly better lighting effects while 360 versions tend to have slightly looking better textures (keep in mind I mean SLIGHTLY). The reason for this is the very unfriendly Cell processor design. It's bad enough that there have been recent reports that Sony is looking to scrap it for the PS4.

Only first party studios seem to really understand how to program for the Cell, for everyone else the 360 is far, far easier to code for because it's so similar to a PC. That (and MS's buckets of money) is why games like Mass Effect and Left4Dead make it to the 360. That's why some games (coughBayonettacough) perform better on the 360, and that's why very few multi-platform games will likely see a pronounced performance boost on the PS3 over the 360.

At the end of the day, assuming a new generation of consoles in 2012-2013, does anyone really think that either system will be miles ahead of the other? The days of that possibility are over, hardware sales will likely be within 10% difference, either way. The difference maker will be software sales, which is why the number I care far more about is attachment rate. Software is where they tend to make their money anyways.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.