Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I've been using the PS3media server to watch videos. I've noticed that if before the video is finished, I hit the Triangle button, it will freeze the video and freeze the PS3 as well. Anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
166 Posts
This might be the greatest program ever created. I literally installed it, turned on the PS3 and started using it right away, no configuration or messing around required.

Absolutely stunned.

Edit - still quits on me unexpectedly just like every other solution I've tried. I know its likely a setting in my router or on my PC that is doing this, but I've never figured out why.

·
Registered
115 Posts
PS3MS was working flawlessly for me until I bought a 1TB external and starting dl'ng a lot of video. Now the menu's load much slower on the PS3 but it's ok, could be my 2003 era desktop

What really annoys me, is that when I go to stream a FLAC or xvid or something, I usually have to go restart the PS3MS or else it will say unsupported data or corrupted data

Is this normal or is it just my computer? It seems to stream MP3 all day its just the new formats that I have issues

·
Registered
204 Posts
i switched about 6 months ago to PS3 Media server from Tversity and have not looked back...this software is amazing and close to perfection in every way...only problem ive ever had is sometimes it gets confused when scanning my download directory for new videos...i think i probably have too long of a path

Im also using Playon which is pretty cool for streaming web video sites such as Hulu, NBA, Spike TV, South park, etc

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I love this software. However I have some .avi files for which I get the message "format not supported" (or something like that). I have played .avi files in the past with no problem. Are there "different" .avi files (with perhaps a different codec or something?)

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Has anybody streamed 1080p successfully using this program wirelessly?

I can easily stream 720 mkv file with 5.1 sound,

but 1080p is super choppy, and next to no audible sound,

I'm on a wireless G, my laptop can run N, but my router is only G,

if I upgrade to N will it work?
my laptop is a core 2 duo t6400 2.00ghz, 4 gb ram, is it able to stream it?

I would prefer to use wireless on my laptop, my desktop is wired, but its pretty old I think pentium 4 and only 512mb ram, don't think it could support the 1080p file

·
Registered
6,315 Posts
I have streamed wireless from lapper to router, but I hardwired my PS3 to the router for better connectivity. So for me, 1080p plays fine.

·
Registered
679 Posts
For 1080p I always wirelessly transfer the files to the PS3 hard drive, and then play them directly off the PS3. Takes about 45 minutes to transfer the file.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have streamed wireless from lapper to router, but I hardwired my PS3 to the router for better connectivity. So for me, 1080p plays fine.
my ps3 is wired, (so is my 360, I don't game wirelessly),

might do the transfer thing

·
Registered
773 Posts
For those of you successfully running PS3 media server, what CPU power do you have?
I have a 6 year old Dell 8300, with a P4 @ 2.6 GHz, and 1.5 GB of RAM.
Movies will play fine for a few seconds, then get unbearably choppy.
I guess it's a settings issue.

My WMP11 works fine.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Ham, I'm running it on a Dell 8200 P4 2ghz but I don't do on the fly decoding for mkv's. I use mkv2vob which pulls out the videos from the mkv container. It only takes a couple of minutes since its not reencoding. I am able to playback 1080p content with DTS sound without issue.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
dont bother using wireless if you want to stream 720p+

im running on a 1.6 core 2 duo laptop with 2 gb ram on xp 32bit
I stream 720p with true 5.1 Dolby Digital sound no problem wirelessly,

just 1080p I'm having problems with

·
Registered
478 Posts
i am running a core i7 920 with 6gb of ram, running win7 (legit msdn account) and haven't had any issues at all, unless i'm grabbing something off usenet, over 1600k/s.... if i limit my downloading to 1600k/s, it's okay, but when it gets up over that (15mbps internet, download off usenet regularly/sustained at 2mb/s) it gets a bit choppy, but thats the 100bT router....

although recently, and i don't know why, but it has had some stuttering issues, and that's with tv rips, so i don't know what the deal is there.... that's only been happening for 2 days, so i dunno...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Vista home premium SP2 on a 1.9GHz AMD Turion64X2 laptop with 2 GB or RAM. My PS3 is hardwired to it. No problems with any files. Wireless through the N router causes a few stutters after 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No muxing with PS3mediaserver?

I am currently using Tversity. I ripped Transformers 2 with AnyDVD - HD. The m2ts file streams in beautiful HD, although the audio is in a foreign language because the PS3 can't decode the HD audio file so it finds the next available audio file it can play -(which is the foreign language). I have been told I will have to use tsmuxer to convert the HD audio to AC3 which the PS3 can decode.

It is my understanding that PS3mediaserver will be able to stream that HD audio file in english without using tsmuxer. Is this a true statement? If that is the case I will switch to PS3mediaserver immediately. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Registered
468 Posts
No- PS3MS will not trans code the audio-- I have had the same problem. To solve I have used tsmuxer to choose the correct audio track from the ripped Bluray.

There are a number of great GUI's that will merge the video and audio into MKV's to stream to the PS3. This is where PS3 MS is better than Tversity. I used to use Tversity, but now only use PS3MS. I stream full 1080p movies from my desktop on a wired network-

Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

I was able to convert the DTS-HD file into AC3 and mux it back into my video file. It plays flawlessly 5.1 surround.

Now I have heard that the PS3 can stream regular DTS, not DTS-HD or TrueHD. I can mux the regular DTS file with the m2ts video file, although when I stream I get no audio. I know there is a way to trick the PS3 in playing the DTS just don't know the steps. If anyone can help that would be awesome.

Thanks!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts