Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Is there a way to over-ride the 8 sub-folder max that is in place?

I have my mp3 library buried just a bit deeper than that and would sure like to get the streaming audio.

p.s. I'm not sure if this is a PS3 thing or if it's a PS3 media server thing.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Is there a way to over-ride the 8 sub-folder max that is in place?

I have my mp3 library buried just a bit deeper than that and would sure like to get the streaming audio.

p.s. I'm not sure if this is a PS3 thing or if it's a PS3 media server thing.
Not sure about your specific question, but you might have an easy way around it. PS3MediaServer by default shows your entire disk from the very top, and some people like that, however it is always possible to provide a list of directories to show instead (including sub-directories, of course). This is especially useful when some of your users do not know or care what your entire disk structure looks like, you can bring them directly to the good stuff.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Not sure about your specific question, but you might have an easy way around it. PS3MediaServer by default shows your entire disk from the very top, and some people like that, however it is always possible to provide a list of directories to show instead (including sub-directories, of course). This is especially useful when some of your users do not know or care what your entire disk structure looks like, you can bring them directly to the good stuff.
Thank you, that has solved my problem.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I use TVersity and convert my MKV files to MPG using MKV2VOB. Is there a picture quality difference when streaming straight MKVs using PS3 Media Sever?

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I use TVersity and convert my MKV files to MPG using MKV2VOB. Is there a picture quality difference when streaming straight MKVs using PS3 Media Sever?
Shouldn't be any difference if you use tsMuxer as the engine. tsMuxer basically does the same thing as MKV2VOB but on the fly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
So it can read VOB files straight from the VideoTS folder, but someone has mentioned that it can't read the menus, so no access to chapters or special features? How do you select the different audio features?

What about the multiple VOB files, will it play the movie in its entirety or does it skip from VOB to VOB with a slight pause, or does it require you to select the next VOB once the original one is finished?

Thanks,

·
Registered
73 Posts
great on a mac

Agreed, this thing rocks. I've got it running on our two iMacs over gigabit. I don't seem to have enough jam to transcode mkv's on the fly, but oh well, I run tsmuxergui under Crossover for Mac. PS3MediaServer is worth using for the lack of dropped connections alone, unlike other "paid" solutions.

I've only been using it for a couple weeks, and it kills Nullriver's MediaLink and Mediatomb (the latter I had compiled myself due to lack of a proper Mac version).

I used to be almost jealous of the Windows software available for this purpose, but no more. :D

·
Super Moderator
3,210 Posts
Nice piece of software. Will not work with my G5 for MKV files and barely with my Core Duo Macbook 512mb of ram. I guess I need to upgrade my Apple machines to take advantage of my new PS3.

·
Registered
51 Posts
A little off topic, but

I want to know if there is anyway to view the PS3 menu via a computer.

I can view and run my Denon 3808 thru my computer. Is this an option with the PS3?

Reason is I dont want to fire up my LCD projector just to be able to navigate the PS3 menu to play music.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Please lets stick to the topic at hand which is the PS3 media server. Questions about remote access to the PS3 can be asked in the Video gaming forum.

·
Registered
38 Posts
1.04 is out
http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver/downloads/list

. New option to enable video copy on ps3
. RAW images thumbnail support: CR2/CRW/PEF/NEF/ORF/SRF/MRW/DNG/ARW/RAF
. New extensions supported: SHN/M2V/M2P
. tsMuxer engine can now mux or reencode in AC3/PCM all audio tracks in real time
. Add the experimental mencoder build for multicore on OSX
. DVR-MS remuxer now included by default in Windows package
. New translations: Spanish (thanks to Jose from playstationhoy.com), Dutch (thanks to Vincent Meylof), German (thanks to Jeuki), Russian (thanks to Peter Klassen), Polish (thanks to Maciej Bocian), Greek (thanks to Alexander Polichroniadis), Portuguese (thanks to Hugo Sousa), Finnish (thanks to Ove Sentlig), Norwegian (thanks to Ball80 and Topguy), Swedish (thanks to Dusan Ilic) and Japanese (thanks to Yu)

- Fixes

. tsMuxer's AC3/LPCM encode/muxing + Mencoder's LPCM remuxing now working on Linux
. Fixed LPCM seeking issue
. Fixed regression with PicasaWeb images feed
. Changes in subtitles loading / Fonts support (Default/ASS/Embedded Fonts)
. Fixed channels order with tsMuxer engine's DTS->AC3 option
. Transcode buffer wasn't fully released after end of video
. Fixed bug with shared folders selection on Windows
. Fixed periodic alive messages sent to ps3
. Better dvr-ms media info retrieval
. Updated ffmpeg/mplayer/mencoder/mt builds on Windows and OSX (slight H264 speedup for singlecore)
. Buffer issues with transcoded audio files lasting more than 10 minutes
. Fixed RSS parsing with some feeds

·
Registered
478 Posts
somewhat interesting.... if you find a cover art jpg for a movie, and name it exactly the same filename as the movie, with a .cover.jpg at the end, it will show that in the xmb instead of the filmstrip icon.

ex:
Flash.of.Genius.2008.DVDRip.XviD.AC-FLAWL3SS.avi
Flash.of.Genius.2008.DVDRip.XviD.AC-FLAWL3SS.avi.cover.jpg

shows the jpeg in the xmb.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great program. Love it! But I find it very slow when displaying the files in a folder. For example if I have a lot of pictures in a folder it takes forever to come up with the thumbnails. and as you scroll down it refreshes very slow. Is this normal? This goes for the video files as well but not an issue since I don't have more than a dozen or so files. As far as playinf files there are no issues keeping up with the steaming. This basically means that I can't use it for pictures or music much and I have to keep Twonky active for that.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Tversity keeps the location of the video file even when you back out to the XMB on my PS3. So when you go back to the video, the movie picks up from where you left off.

But with this PS3 MEdia Server, it always restarts from the beginning.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi,

PS3 Media Server suddenly doesn't work for me anymore, it was working fine when I first downloaded it but there is now an update and I can't seem to get it to install properly and the program can't find PS3 either now.

I am getting the message at the end of the update that says "Must download before run".

TVersity still works fine for me and I have not made any changes to neither PS3 or the Media Server

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you

·
Registered
73 Posts
resume play

Tversity keeps the location of the video file even when you back out to the XMB on my PS3. So when you go back to the video, the movie picks up from where you left off.

But with this PS3 MEdia Server, it always restarts from the beginning.
Hmm, works fine for me...I've even switched PS3 users (logged out as me and logged in as my roommate) and the video resumed in the same place.

Not sure what to suggest.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts