Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
I filled up the 40g within 2 weeks with demos and pics and music so I am at 160gb now and I had considered 250gb ( and up ) but I chose to stay with 160 because that's really all I would need.

On top of it, transferring files into the PS3 is not exactly lightning fast anyway. I only keep some music and vacation pics on the PS3 and everything else stays on my PC

·
Registered
555 Posts
Friend of mine has done it, and it was pretty much smooth. I personally don't see what the difference is from hearing whether ppl on this board has done it is any different from those who has written a FAQ on how to do it, or from others who has also done this upgrade from other boards.

The design of this console is to allow you to easily change the HDD for expandability.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Anybody done it with with a external hard drive via USB? From what I understand the ps3 recognizes the external hd as though it were an internal. Videos, music, pictures show up in the appropriate menus on the xmb?

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
mt99808:

Yes, I have done it. Although the external drive must be FAT formatted. It won't recognize any external drive formatted in FAT32, NTFS, etc. Only FAT.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
And if you can only format in FAT, doesn't that mean your harddrive has to be less than 32GB or something? So, how would you connect a 250GB drive? Would you have to make a whole bunch of partitions?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Okay, so I bought today a 160GB Western Digital. 5400rpm, 8mb. It's the WD1600BEVS. $90 and it came with a 2.5" external enclosure. This way I can do something with the 40GB when I take it out.

I'm wondering. I know that before you flip the drives, you need to run the backup software. But that means you need to introduce a third storage medium. ie. another external drive.

Is this correct, or is there a way to do it with just the 40Gb inside the PS3 and the new 160GB drive?

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
How big a drive do you need to copy the backup info to? I understand the backup info is put into one large file. I assume you can copy this one file around to whatever drive you need. Does it have to be copied to a FAT drive? How big might this file be? I'm going to wait another week or so to do it, so just want to prepare. I borrowed another external drive from the office. I'd rather I didn't have to format it or anything.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
If you don't have anything on your PS3 40GB right now that you want to save then you don't have to backup anything. When you load the new hard drive it will format it and load anything it needs to on there.

If it's only saved game data, save it to a USB Flash drive.

·
Member #1
47,716 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
THought I would resurrect this thread. With the new 160GB PS3 announced, I am sure folks will be talking about how to upgrade their existing units

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Something I'm not clear on:

Suppose I get an external USB drive, one that has a 2.5" SATA drive compatible with the PS3. I take the drive out of the case and put it in the PS3. I put the original drive from the PS3 into the USB/external case.

Can I copy data from the old drive via USB to the new PS3 drive? I guess the underlying question here is do the portable USB drives use some special formatting, or is it "normal" and all the good stuff is done by the USB->HDD interface.

Of course, besides re-using the old drive for something half useful (small portable backup), I'm trying to eliminate the necessity of a third drive for a proper PS3 backup.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm interested in upgrading my PS3 hard drive soon, but I have a question: what will this mean for content I've paid to download? Is there anyway I can back it up, or will it be accounted for through my PSN account?

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
If you visit the PSN Store right now, you'll notice a check mark on the icons of games you have purchased. Those games can be downloaded back onto your PS3 even if you decided to temporarily delete them to make room (in the cas of a game you did not want to play much these days, as an example).

I do, however, seem to recall that all the downloadable content was backed up before I upgraded my hard drive because I don't remember having to install it back after the HD swap.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Just finished my upgrade to 320 last week. Yes the formatted size is 298, but the usable is 263. At least this is what I had before I did the Restore, so nothing was on the HDD yet. In the system information screen it showed as 263/298. Doesn't seem like anything went wrong during the upgrade. I've read about a percentage being reserved, but close to 40 GB doesn't seem right. Either way it's more than 4 times what I had with the original 60 GB I had in there.

And as for the screws . . . yes they were a [email protected]#$% to get off. Seriously, they are screwed in there like no tomorrow. I had the proper screwdriver size but stripped 3 of them in the first 2 minutes. I stopped short of completely ruining them and even tried rubber dishwashing gloves to give me some extra grip. After realizing that the screws weren't coming out with a screwdriver . . . I kid you not, I went for the needle nose pliers. I was able to grip the sides of the screws just enough and with a lot of torque, able to loosen them enough to use the screwdriver to get them the rest of the way off.

For the Backup/Restore process . . . it's a pain having to watch it take a hour to back up my data and then another hour to restore. My hard drive was pretty much full, so you might not have to wait as long if you haven't used up all your HDD space yet. I would even go as far as saying it might be worth it to just delete all your content except your games saves and back up that way. A few MB would go a lot faster than 50 GB.

Anyhow, after all that I'm now a proud owner of a PS3 with much, much, much more HDD space.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Something I'm not clear on:

Suppose I get an external USB drive, one that has a 2.5" SATA drive compatible with the PS3. I take the drive out of the case and put it in the PS3. I put the original drive from the PS3 into the USB/external case.

Can I copy data from the old drive via USB to the new PS3 drive? I guess the underlying question here is do the portable USB drives use some special formatting, or is it "normal" and all the good stuff is done by the USB->HDD interface.

Of course, besides re-using the old drive for something half useful (small portable backup), I'm trying to eliminate the necessity of a third drive for a proper PS3 backup.
No, you will not be able to transfer data from your removed PS3 HDD to a newly installed HDD. You will need to do a Backup/Restore to another Fat32 formatted USB memory stick or HDD.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I had posted earlier (2 posts up) that with the newly installed 320 HDD, I only had 263 of 298 GB available. This was with nothing restored yet. I was thinking that maybe the multiple accounts (5) I have set up on the PS3 are using up some of that lost free space. The accounts are only set up to view other countries PlayStation Stores. I'll try deleting an account to see if any HDD space is gained.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
The accounts aren't actually stored on the HD - you can access them with just the brand new (nothing on it yet) drive, so they wouldn't be taking up the space.

Gord

·
Registered
106 Posts
The accounts aren't actually stored on the HD - you can access them with just the brand new (nothing on it yet) drive, so they wouldn't be taking up the space.
That is true, the accounts were all there with the newly installed hard drive (before formatting). I was just wondering if the system (recognizing that I had five accounts) formats the new drive reserving some hard drive space for those accounts for what ever reason.

Anyhow, I deleted an account and the available space didn't change. So the 263 GB of 298 still stands as the space available with a 320 GB drive. Unless someone else has installed a 320 GB drive that has different numbers. I'd also be interested in knowing what space is available for 120, 250 and even 500 GB drives for those that have also swapped drives.

21 - 40 of 93 Posts