Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I guess in a few months we will have bootlegged PS3 games on the market.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Didn't some group in Australia have a hack and Sony killed it with a mandatory update?

·
Registered
894 Posts
That was a jailbreak hack. Now they have the keys so they can write thier own .pup files. Even create thier own OS. I would like to see someone make a media player like xbmc that plays .mkv and .iso files of video files.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I would like to see someone make a media player like xbmc that plays .mkv and .iso files of video files.
That would be very cool.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Unfortunately this will likely result in piracy on the PS3. Sure, they say it's not for piracy, but that's what it'll become for most people that "jailbreak" their PS3. Congrats to Sony for lasting this long.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
My Apologies but...

@$$£$!!! Pirates can (insert expletive here) Long Johns silver...

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
While I hate piracy I'd like to think the modders could do some super cool things with the PS3. I think the benefits may outweigh the cons. If this was done day 1, sure, huge deal but it's been 4 years and while this may earn me a little heat I'd wager most of the piracy crowd are on the 360 which has been fully hacked for years. In other words, Sony won't lose game sales, they will just sell additional consoles to pirates who won't buy the games. Seeing as Sony now sells the PS3 at a tiny profit ($8 comes to mind but that was a year ago so it should be more now) selling a bunch of consoles without games isn't that bad. I'd love to see it become a killer media server.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Sony won't lose game sales
Piracy always kills game sales and it kills the incentive to produce new games.

If a company believes their games will be pirated then they will either: not produce the game; or they will dramatically cut the costs of making the game to lessen the risk.

One of the the reasons so many of the big companies are going to online games and online verification is they can blunt the impact of piracy.

Seeing as Sony now sells the PS3 at a tiny profit ($8 comes to mind but that was a year ago so it should be more now) selling a bunch of consoles without games isn't that bad.
Because the retail price exceeds the cost of production doesn't mean the machines earn a profit. My gut is that overhead costs, development costs, retail markups, logistics, marketing etc probably add up to $100 to $150 a machine.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Piracy always kills game sales and it kills the incentive to produce new games.

If a company believes their games will be pirated then they will either: not produce the game; or they will dramatically cut the costs of making the game to lessen the risk.

One of the the reasons so many of the big companies are going to online games and online verification is they can blunt the impact of piracy.

Because the retail price exceeds the cost of production doesn't mean the machines earn a profit. My gut is that overhead costs, development costs, retail markups, logistics, marketing etc probably add up to $100 to $150 a machine.
I think you are oversimplifying in both cases. Sony will continue to making hacking difficult even though it's "wide open". Only the hardcore cheap and industrious will be jumping on this boat. The same people who are most likely at this point don't own a PS3. The PS3 piracy scene will never be anything remotely close to that of the 360 for various reasons. Risk vs reward if nothing else. You can buy a 360 for a tad over $100 these days where as the PS3 is still $300. Having both systems bricked are very different risk propositions. If I buy a 2nd PS3 to mod it will have a specific purpose such as a media server.

As for profit on the hardware, I look at this way. The vast majority of the overheard costs are fixed costs. Regardless of selling 200K legit consoles or 220K with 20K modded those extra 20K consoles will not increase development or marketing costs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I really don't think it will hurt them too much. Look at the Wii, I don't think piracy hurt them much if at all. I think the majority of prirates will be people that didn't buy many games in the first place.

This will just speed up the PS4 a few months.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I think you are oversimplifying in both cases.
Really then please tell me how people stealing your products makes you more profitable.

I have never heard a CEO say that they could earn greater profits and produce more products if only more people stole from them.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Really then please tell me how people stealing your products makes you more profitable.

I have never heard a CEO say that they could earn greater profits and produce more products if only more people stole from them.
80% of people with a PS3 become pirates, 20% contribute to your profits. Flip this around if you wish, and it looks even better.

I really doubt we will see even 5% of PS3's become hacked any time soon. Its not worth the risk of bricking an expensive machine. The way things are going, there are 4-5 games worth buying each year anyway.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Also gotta keep in mind that a blank blu-ray disc and burner aren't exactly that cheap and not everyone has one like a DVD burner. I happen to have one, but I've yet to burn a dual layer disc since they're quite pricey for a quality disc and I'm going to guess the games are mostly on DL BD's?

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Sony won't lose games sales, just like downloading will not effect CD sales,

even if PS3 is selling for a profit now, its years away from turning a profit, game sales and licencing is what makes PS3 bankable,
any hit to game sales at all is going to be bad for sony, or any company that has their product or part of their product pirated

·
Registered
139 Posts
All i want is an XBMC/PLEX type program for all my movies and shows. I dont care about copying games, i only buy 2 or 3 a year anyways. That wont change.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts

Hugh, you may be falling into the trap of just accepting the PR of corporate interests that say anytime people do something the corporation doesn't like it's "stealing".

Today I overhead a song playing on my neighbor's radio. I may end up buying the album. Did I steal, or did the industry's promotional methodology succeed?

Now, what if I tell you that it wasn't over the air radio, but a streaming radio station that my neighbor uses?

I didn't know this at the time, all I knew is I heard music and got the idea of buying it. But now that we find out it's a digital snippet of music, those corporations would say my neighbor and I are thieves and pirates. Ridiculous.

I'm not condoning piracy, but the corporate spin on this subject is almost never true. People like you and I, people that actually understand technology better than the lawyers, the media, and the record company head honchos, we have an obligation not to get suckered into that myth that everyone is a pirate.

To answer your point directly, there are numerous examples of games and things that can be sold at a loss or given away and yet are a huge profit center for the owner.

Look at the many games that cost $0, but then you pay a monthly subscription. The owners of these properties know they could never sell the program for any significant amount, but the subscription model works great.

I do agree jerks will use these hacks to avoid paying for games. In my case though I'll probably use it to avoid wear, tear, noise, scratched discs, and slow loading times by storing games onto the hard drive. That doesn't make me a pirate or mean I'm stealing.

I make buying decisions based on value. If I'm afraid my purchase can be scratched by an random drive error or rendered unusable when the corporation takes their DRM server offline prematurely, I'm less inclined to buy. But when I get the media, and it can't be taken away, and I can make a backup for safe keeping, etc, then I am more inclined to buy. I have tens of thousands of dollars in receipts and a houseful of proof, as do many people.

·
Registered
894 Posts
This was posted on another forum but I won't link it unless it's ok. I'll only post part of what it says.

Dave Touretzky, a Research Professor in the Computer Science Department and the Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition at Carnegie Mellon University, has challenged Sony's legal standing in the case against PS3 hackers and mirrored Geohot's site on the university's servers.

Our friends at Sony are having another bad day: i.e., doing something breathtakingly stupid, presumably because they don't know any better. This time they're suing George Hotz for publishing PS3 jailbreak information, as reported by EnGadget and Attack of the Fan Boy. Hotz's jailbreak allows PS3 owners to run the software of their choice on a machine they have legally purchased. His site is geohot.com.

Free speech (and free computing) rights exist only for those determined to exercise them. Trying to suppress those rights in the Internet age is like spitting in the wind.We will help our friends at Sony understand this by mirroring the geohot jailbreak files at Carnegie Mellon.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts