Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as the title above states, my Blu-Ray drive has gone. I've tried taking it apart to clean the lens, but to no avail. It's an older 80gb machine, with the backwards compatibility and card slots, so I'd rather repair than replace. Anyone know anyone in the GTA that can fix these things for a reasonable price?

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
My friend in Calgary recently had his over-three-years-old PS3 serviced by Sony. The charge was labour plus shipping and taxes, no charge to swap his main board and drive. In total it cost him $156.45, of which $119 was labour (if all you need is a new drive it may be less). He called it on a Wednesday, the following morning he received the special packaging and pre-paid UPS labels. A week later he had his PS3 back.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Did you not post the problem recently? You said you solved it with a take apart video on the web...I was going to reply, did you also clean the CPU fan and clean the thermal paste and put some fresh stuff...if you went to the trouble of taking it apart for the lens cleaning of the BD drive, you should have serviced the CPU/GPU...it is worth trying before spending a 160 bucks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU&annotation_id=annotation_867467&feature=iv

About 7.50 is the thermal paste part, can't hurt...lol

·
Registered
248 Posts
Yes

yes from Lawman, the point is that it is not difficult to service your PS3 for anyone on these forums

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cleaned the lens manually, but it didn't work. The drive still don't spin. And it's not the CPU as the PS3 works perfectly, media streaming, downloaded games etc, it's only the blu-ray drive (for all disks, not just blu-ray.)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I took my 40 gig to MTC in Whitby at Cannon Crt. and Consumers Dr.

Cost me $140 and got it back the same day.
Had you broken the security seal on your PS3? i.e. opened it up yourself. Last I heard was they wouldn't service any PS3 *period* if the user had opened it. Do you know if that's (still) true? For future ref JIC/when mine dies. Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
cfraser: I was too chicken to open it up so it was still sealed. If you google their website there's a list of regulations as well as prices.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Buy the replacement Bluray component from ebay. If you've opened up your PS3, you can check what your Bluray drive looks like under the hood. I did it on mine. I took pictures etc. and made sure that I got all the info of the stuff inside my PS3. I looked for the same part on ebay, and the Bluray lens part is around US$50 + shipping etc. Do a search on ebay for KES-400 etc. Make sure you have the same part name as in your Bluray drive. At first I did not know what I was looking for when I saw the ebay picture before opening up my PS3. But once I opened up my Bluray, it made sense.

The same part was in my Bluray drive. I did not need to buy it yet, as mine was able to be cleaned. I did it very carefully with the appropriate tools and patience. Don't force something to open, just take a little bit of patience. Seriously, it ain't rocket science!

My warranty was over anyways. I looked on the PS3 website and it says that for Canadians (unlike US), you can only send it to Sony to be fixed within its warranty only as indicated on their website. So, mine was 3+ years, so way over warranty even taking into account my credit card's extended 1-yr warranty in additional to Sony's warranty.

Warranty LINK

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay, I got it fixed. There is a place in Brampton that came recommended to me and the guy was professional and knowledgeable. Even came with a 4 months guarantee and his own warranty seal sticker (how cute.) Cost me $100 (I paid because I wasn't 100% sure on the actual fault.) I don't think I can advertise the company here, but if anyone needs the name let me know.

The same part was in my Bluray drive. I did not need to buy it yet, as mine was able to be cleaned. I did it very carefully with the appropriate tools and patience. Don't force something to open, just take a little bit of patience. Seriously, it ain't rocket science!
Well I am actually a fully qualified Rocket Scientist, so RS is easy for me :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts