Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a PS3 (slim) hooked up to my Yamaha HTR6295 receiver with HDMI cable and it works but I only get PCM audio and when I connect my toslink audio then it shows as Digital Dolby or DTS depending on the source. I prefer the the better audio but why can't I get this with HDMI? All settings in the audio section of the PS3 suggest that it will decode the signal properly. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Atom

·
Registered
319 Posts
you are receiving all signals. My Pioneer does the same thing with everything direct.
Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
Are you talking about decoding the lossless Blu-Ray audio formats (DTS-MA and Dolby True HD)? If you get the PS3 to decode the audio (linear PCM), then your receiver will likely display it as PCM. If you set the PS3 to bitstream the audio to your Yammy the receiver does the decoding and you should see the appropriate audio format displayed.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I don't think the question is clear.

A PS3 Slim can bitstream lossless audio (dhts-HD/TrueHD) to an AVR over HDMI. If you set the PS3 to bitstream, you will get the lossless audio transmitted to your AVR to decode. If you have selected onboard decoding, then your PS3 is decoding the dts-HD or TrueHD track into multi-channel PCM and sending that to your AVR.

On some lower to mid-priced receivers there is a definite sound quality advantage to allow the AVR to decode bitstreamed audio. On an AVR like the HTR6295, I suspect there is no difference in sound quality either way.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I see what you guys are saying but I've noticed that it just doesn't sound as full with PCM as opposed to DD. Even games like Grand Theft Auto play as PCM unless I use a toslink for the audio and HDMI for the video only. It just sounds better to my untrained ears. I will try the bitstream suggestion from the PS3 and see how that sounds. Why is it only with HDMI that this happens and not the toslink optical cable - aren't they processing the same digital information?
Anyway I thank you guys for the input.

Atom

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Lossless audio tracks (dts-HD/TrueHD) cannot be transmitted over toslink. Simply put, the SPDIF spec (optical or coax) does not provide enough bandwidth for lossless audio, including uncompressed LPCM.

If you are watching a Blu-ray, if you are choosing the lossless audio track, you will be getting superior sound over HDMI (regardless of whether the decoding is done by your AVR or your PS3) as opposed to lossy audio sent over SPDIF. If you're not, you have either selected a lossy audio track for playback, or have a setup issue with your PS3 and your first post is wrong (the settings in the PS3 aren't right).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts