Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up my PS Move gear yesterday, along with R.U.S.E. (real time shooter) and Sports Champions (misc sports) as demonstrators.

Initial thoughts are that the technology is a lot more precise than I was expecting. Even subtle motions that rotating one's wrist is detected and used in the gameplay (ie putting some english on the ball in table tennis).

Not sure if it's a game changer, but it does make things a little more exciting. I look forward to trying shooters like SOCOM4 when it comes out.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I picked mine up too. Haven't played allot with it yet but it certainly is accurate. Ping Pong really shows off just how accurate it is. There really isn't much out there yet as far as games. Might pick up RE5 when they do the move update. Will give Heavy Rain another go as well and try and get the remaining trophies using Move. I asked the guy and he said they had been selling quite a few all day and indicated he wasn't sure if they had any navigational controllers left when I asked for one. I'm sure the most it will sell week one is 300-400K but with the lack of advertising and games I think it's a great start. I think Sony will roll out the heavy campaign towards Christmas when they have more software titles to go with it.

Will need to buy the gun but couldn't bring myself to buy it at retail. Felt a little too dorky! Will order it from Amazon along with a double charging stand.

For the time being the Eye is literally hanging off the top of my TV because the cable is a little too stiff and heavy for the camera to just sit on the ledge. Will tape it down at some point.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Where did you put the PS Eye? For multiplayer, I'm assuming everyone has to be within the field of view of the camera?
The PSEye is really compact so it just sits on the top of my LCD panel. It only requires an inch or so to sit on.

·
Registered
160 Posts
does the eye need as cord or is it bluetooth? My PS3 is in a cabinet about 20ft from the the tv, i am wondering how the eye will reach it?

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
I'm wait and see on this. From what I have read the consensus (and what several posters here echo) it seems that PS3 move is "Like a super accurate Wii remote that works well but there is nothing to play."

Here's hoping for some software by Christmas.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
It's nice to see a number of games getting Move patches. I have Heavy Rain (preordered, and still unplayed) which was patched yesterday, as well as Planet Minigolf. I tried minigolf, and found it extremely frustrating. It was difficult to control, and I gave up on the title. I gave it another shot yesterday with the Move controller, and it's infinitely better now. I had my best score yet, and while I still had a few blown shots, it's a lot more fun playing the game.

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Here's my first PS Move gripe - nothing to do with the controller or its functionality, but what I find to be a rather dubious move (no pun intended) from Sony to hold back the High Velocity Bowling Move patch and only make it available to PSN+ subscribers. Anyone can download the patch, mind you, but you need a key to unlock the PS Move functionality.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'm interested in Move, but I ended up selling my Wii because I never touched it. Too many other things to spend the $100 on, like an Apple TV or something.

Not to send the thread off on a tangent, but I'm getting Kinect to play with my son and wife. Were it not for that, I'd probably get Move.

·
Registered
846 Posts
crap, not going to work for me, unless i can find a cheap USB Balun to work with Cat6.
I've seen that people are using the Eye successfully with active USB extension cables. If you only need to a 20 ft. extension Monoprice has a 33 footer at a pretty cheap price. I'm ordering one to use with the Eye/Move combination on my front projector.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
i noticed they have a move hand gun! If they patch Modern warfare im in! I would think its only gonna help my kill/death ratio..

·
Registered
815 Posts
I've been playing a bit of Tiger Woods PGA Tour 11 with the Move controller and it works pretty well.

You point the move towards the ground, and press the trigger to activate it, turn your wrists left or right to set up a draw or fade and then take your swing. You also have to move the controller up and down until your guy on the screen has his club lined up with the ball (each club requires a slightly different stance). To aim, point the move at the screen and press the move button -- hold down the trigger and point left or right to change your aiming point.

It doesn't seem to matter which way you face (you can face the screen or face sideways so that you are hitting into the screen). However, I can't see any way to add loft to your shot without having to pick up the Sixaxis controller. As well, there doesn't seem to be any way to add power boost to your shot.

Putting is just like putting in real life -- the more you pull back before your putt, the harder you will hit it. (a helpful hint -- it can be easier to read the green if you switch to a pitch shot while you try to line up your putt)

You have to use the Sixaxis controller to navigate the menus -- the Move controller doesn't activate until you are on the course. You do not have to use the Sixaxis controller while you are on the course if you are willing to give up the ability to add loft, but it must be active -- the game will go into pause if your Sixaxis controller times out.

I don't golf (I have played about 4 rounds in my life), but I do watch a lot of Golf Channel HD. I've been modelling my swing after the guys on the Pro Tour and it seems to work well. I can get 100% swing most times, although I do tend to hit it to the left quite often (you need to hit the ball straight on to get a straight shot). I find closing my eyes to take the swing while imagining there is a real club in my hands helps.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I think you can basically group Move games into 2 categories.

Games made for the Move

Game with Move tacked on

Tiger Woods falls into the latter. Personally I'd love to see Star Wars Force Unleashed II as a Move title but when thinking about it realistically the best case scenario is that we will simply activate the pre canned actions using the Move instead of the Dual Shock. We won't ever see true 1-1 movement of the lightsabers which is too bad. If you have played the Gladiators games in the Sports Champions you realize the potential of Move. Here's hoping someone capitalizes.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I think that they did a pretty good job overall of "tacking on" Move support for Tiger Woods 11. It comes pretty close to actually swinging a golf club and adjusts based on what you would do with a real club.

There is nothing stopping them from fixing some of the problems through another patch (such as adding a way to add loft).

·
Registered
300 Posts
I am very disappointed that the eye needs to be wired to the PS3.

For a system that has made the most of bluetooth technology, why would they ever do such a silly thing as make an integral part of the system wired?

I need to run a 40' USB cable in oder to use it, so I guess I won't be buying one.

Too bad - it looks like a lot of fun.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts