Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A minor firmware update (V2.52) is coming to the PS3 soon and includes the following:
  • The playback quality of some PS3 format software has been improved.
  • A text entry issue that occurs when using the on-screen keyboard, USB keyboard or Bluetooth keyboard with some PS3 format software has been addressed.
Source: Playstation Blog

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
It's been out for a few days now. It was slow to download directly for many. I have been updating by going directly to the Sony site and loading onto an SD card for the past few, and find it much faster.

·
Registered
101 Posts
A lot of people seem to complain about the download speeds from the Playstation Store or when updating. I haven't seen any of these problems. Just lucky I guess.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
A lot of people seem to complain about the download speeds from the Playstation Store or when updating. I haven't seen any of these problems. Just lucky I guess.
To be honest, I think the issue is the Wireless chipset in the PS3 sucks, cause I've moved to wired and there's a big difference in speeds now. I have my wireless router in the same room as the PS3, so it's not a factor of bad signal or anything, it's just the PS3's wireless stinks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Does anyone know if the new N router will work with the ps3? Im not a techie so im assuming the N router is fater for computers than the G so im thinkng about getting it once i get a new laptop.

Thx

·
Registered
300 Posts
To be honest, I think the issue is the Wireless chipset in the PS3 sucks, cause I've moved to wired and there's a big difference in speeds now. I have my wireless router in the same room as the PS3, so it's not a factor of bad signal or anything, it's just the PS3's wireless stinks.
I have noticed the same behavior with my 60 GB PS3. Downloads on wireless are dog slow, whereas wired just speeds along. The wireless router is no more than five or six feet from the PS3. Changing channels, encryption type and other suggested changes all had no effect on the speed.

Skippy

·
Registered
136 Posts
I agree. I had wireless before, and my PS3 (40gb) is almost right beside it, it was laggy, and TVersity was choppy. I moved to wired and there is a huge difference.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have mine wired. Just so much less hassle

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Yes, an N router will work with the PS3, but it won't be any faster since the PS3 doesn't do N.
I was doing some research on this yesterday as occasionally my wireless speed fluctuates when I'm streaming media. Very annoying when the speed drops from 444 kbs to 384 kbs to 0 kbs and then bounces back to 444 kbs within a matter of seconds repeatedly. Is there any streaming software that can send cached content to the PS3?

Anyways, back to the topic. If you get a N router then hooking the PS3 to an N access point will supposedly work. Make sure the router and the access point are of the same brand to cut down on headaches. Ethernet over powerline adapters is another solution you could look into.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I'll second (or third) that comment. I don't know if it's the chipset or the software, but wired is much less hassle.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
I use mine wireless and the only problem I sometimes run into with Tversity is I can't FF at 10X or more reliably. I watch several shows streamed in HD.

Pretty sure I have a cable in the wall I can dig out but I can't be bothered unless the wireless craps out on me.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Playback of ATSC recordings from MythTV server

Not sure if this was fixed in 2.52 or 2.50 (didn't test with 2.50), but playback of OTA recordings from my MythTV box now works correctly! Previously, I would get video, but no audio. Video files were never a problem, only ATSC recordings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts