Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else having issues with how the program guide (EPG) works with OTA on LG OLED TVs?

On my recently purchased LG OLED55C8, the guide won't display program information (it just says 'no information' for each time slot and channel) unless I click on a channel name/number - then it will load program info, but only for that one channel (and any sub-channels). It also only gets a few hours' worth of program info, and it forgets all loaded program info if you turn the TV off. As a bonus, on some channels, clicking on the channel in the guide, or opening the guide while watching the channel, will wipe out all program info for all *other* channels, if that info has previously been loaded channel by channel in the same viewing session. Have tried rescanning channel tuning, resetting TV to factory defaults, and disconnecting and reconnecting the coax. LG has no answers, says it's normal. Never had this issue with OTA and built-in program guides in other TVs.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Yeah if OTA tuners and the EPG are important to you,
I have learned to "try before you buy"...
With the variability in sizes between styles, I don't like to buy Levis jeans
anymore without trying them on first either.

If I wasn't happy with it, I would return it to the store as defective and buy something else

·
Registered
27 Posts
SimonR... just saw your post ..... I had a similar problem with LG TV... I called LG support and they did not have an answer other than it must be a problem with the signal from the stations... so I played around with the settings and when changing how the TV got/set its time I noticed there was a couple of channels that caused the program guide time bar at the top to shift by an hour... program guide would populate for a channel one at time after you selected the channel and the receiver could get the guide info for that channel... did that for each channel one by one and the guide would fill in... EXCEPT.. if I selected one of a couple problem channels... the TV guide would be wiped clean and only the current selected channel's guide info would be shown... WHAT I discovered was a few offending channels did not have their time set correctly... (this happened when the switch was made to day light savings time)

SO all channels that were broadcasting TV guide info with the correct daylight savings time would all show on the program guide.. and as long as I only tuned to those channels that had the correct time.. then the guide would stay fully populated for those channels.

As soon as I tuned to any channel that was broadcasting the wrong time (ie an hour late) the time bar on the guide would shift to an hour later.. all the guide info would be wiped clean and only the selected channel would fill in the guide... if I selected any other channel that was also broadcasting the wrong time then those channels would fill in the program guide and you could jump around all those channels without affecting the program guide.. But tune to a channel that had the correct daylight savings time... and the guide was wiped clean.. the time bar would shift to the correct time and you had to start the whole thing of filling in the TV guide again.

THIS went away as soon as standard time came back (ie when every channel was broadcasting the same time in their guide info)...
I expect the same problem will happen again this spring with the switch to day light savings time and some of the channels don't correct the time in their guide info.

WONDER if complaining to the CRTC about the offending stations/channels that are not adjusting their guide info for the correct daylight time and that it causes problems with the TV's program guide .. would get the CRTC to force the offenders to correct their bad habit.... I tried contacting the tech departments at the offending stations about the problem they were creating and got no reply from them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts