1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Wasn't that long ago they were bitching that revenues were down and were trying to collect fees for carriage.

·
Registered
456 Posts
mixed "signals"

Hmm, I distinctly remember those "save local TV" spots from a few years back where [predominantly] CTV made it seem as though all conventional broadcast television was a "broken/antiquated business model" as if they were on the edge of shutting down all their stations. Then arguments were floated around that they couldn't possibly upgrade to ATSC OTA transmission since they're all oh so dead broke, yet they could always seem to afford to purchase the rights to American programming. All politics............ :mad:
I think the best example was Canwest Global selling CHCH to Channel Zero, claiming it was a constant money-loser -- gee, it looks as though it was all a management issue since it's successful, now... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
A closer examination will likely reveal that most of the profit increases are for specialty and pay TV. Those sectors also had above average revenue increases and have been the most profitable in past reports. I suspect that conventional TV is still losing money on paper due to leveraged acquisitions. Global problems were due to massive debt caused by acquisitions, not so much due to daily operations.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Isn't Canada a wonderful place! These companies can make millions of dollars of profits, while at the same time not actually producing a product, but reselling us one we could get somewhere else. Isn't government funded capitalism wonderful!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A closer examination will likely reveal that most of the profit increases are for specialty and pay TV.
Which were bought using the huge profits from conventional television and tariff protection (aka simulcasting).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts