Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Saint John, NB, & would like to have my TV professionally calibrated. Can someone point me in the right direction? Has anyone had this done, and by whom? Preferably someone in the province, or the Maritimes.

The only guy I found on the Internet is Gregg Loewen from Maine. He makes two tours annually to the Maritimes, but you have to pay his travel expenses, and he prefers to book a series of appointments or tour to make it worthwhile. $400 US for rear projection, grayscale for one input, $150 for additional input (scan rate), plus $50 tour fee. We could get together as a group to book a tour, but this sounds real expensive, plus a headache to organize. I e-mailed him twice - he never responded.

Is there someone more local?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I'm not aware of anybody locally (New Brunswick). I have had Gregg come here and calibrate my set. He does an excellent job and is very willing to answer any questions you might have.

I would definitely suggest you consider contacting him. I would like to have him come back and check my TV to make sure everything is still cool.

Hopefully we can get a group of ppl together and set something up.

By the way, what method did you use to contact him?

Later,

·
OTA Forum Moderator
24,867 Posts
DigitalDisappointment said:
I'm not aware of anybody locally (New Brunswick).
I went to the ISF's site and found a couple of hits under "ISF-trained Dealers in Canada" but I don't know whether they have the proper equipment, etc.:

Moncton
http://www.imagingscience.com/isf_results.cfm?temp=57&Country1=Canada&State1=none&dlr_status=CAL

Halifax
http://www.imagingscience.com/isf_results.cfm?temp=50&Country1=Canada&State1=none&dlr_status=CAL

Here's hoping they're what you're looking for.

cheers,
stampeder

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, stampeder.

The Moncton link sent me to a front page basically under construction. The Halifax link sent me to a company that doesn't even list calibrations as a service they provide. :(

·
Registered
743 Posts
if i remember correctly from another thread that place in Halifax will only do sets they sold and they don't have all the right equipment. i think they do very basic stuff.

the one in moncton is new, the last time i checked the isf webpage they were not listed on it. might be promising

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Greetings

Gregg's inlaws live in NS ... so he comes and goes. Give him another email and don't be afraid to ask for a group discount ... as he's not above doing that. Money is money afterall ...

Regards

·
Registered
743 Posts
haha explains only 2 trips annually

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
DigitalDisappointment said:
I have had Gregg come here and calibrate my set. He does an excellent job and is very willing to answer any questions you might have.
When did you have this done? If you don't mind my asking, how much did he charge? Was this as part of a group, or we're you a "singleton"?

·
Registered
290 Posts
I know he did one other calibration in Moncton around the same time, however, they weren't scheduled as a group. At the time, the entire procedure was $400US (approx. $700 Canadian). Keep in mind our dollar was in the toilette then. He did the calibration on December 28th of 2003.

I have been in contact with him and I'm hoping to get him back up here to look at it again this summer. He responded with a notice to paypal the travel fee of $50US. He will let you know in advance if he's unable to make it and refund your money or keep it until he can make another trip. Your call.

Later,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts