Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.

I'm working on getting a professional calibrator from Calgary to come to Sasktatoon on the August 6/7 weekend.

Obviously there needs to be more than one job to make it worth his while. If anyone is interested please let me know.

We don't get too many opportunities in Saskatoon for something like this so lets make it happen!

Feel free to PM me for more details.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
(This is the only time I'll bump this thread).

If you're in or near Saskatoon and want your TV professionally calibrated this is your best chance of getting it done right. As far as I can tell there's no one in the province with the skill or equipment to do the job.

You can learn all about calibration here at DHC or PM me if you're not sure what it involves.

·
Registered
126 Posts
anchoi said:
Would you consider buying a AVIA or DVE DVD, you can calibrate it yourself? Just a thought!
What about knowledge of the service menu adjustments?
Your suggestion is OK for the average consumer to adjust the user menu settings... often these are not enough to correct inherent faulty factory settings... colour push, greyscale.

I bought an expensive Sony direct view CRT and was surprised how much difference the calibrator was able to achieve by getting into the internal greyscale setup etc. I had done my own adjustments using the THX tools on a DVD.

What the calibrator did for me was to set my TV to give the same colour display for all my inputs:
DVD @ 1080i upconverted by my DVD
HD Cable @ 1080i
Antenna @ 1080i for OTA HD
Cable input at NTSC for regular cable feed

http://www.sentex.ca/~mjlevy/Calibration.jpg

This shows the change from before (unskilled me with DVD) to the after by the Tech.
Changes within the circle cannot be spotted by the human eye.
If you are getting a well known tech from Calgary you will be getting one of the best in North America..... I wouldn't think twice about it.

Note I was extremely happy with my TV out of the box compared to my prior TV's and what I see in stores..... after the calibrator left I couldn't believe the difference. The clarity depth within darker, contrasty scenes is amazing.

I don't regret the $$ I spent.... even my wife was amazed and she really was v. happy before.

If you care about what you are seeing then calibration is an investment everyone should make... I feel little need to see any movie at the cinema... my DVD experience is now visually perfect.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A professional calibration goes well beyond what you can accomplish yourself with AVIA or DVE. I have DVE and using it did improve picture quality but more importantly it identified the areas where my set STILL needs improvement.

A professional calibrator will use a color analysizer (and most importantly skill and experience) to fix the remaining problems.

Here are a just a couple of links to other threads describing how much of a difference a professional calibration made...

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25866&highlight=calibrated

http://digitalhomecanada.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22023&highlight=calibrated

·
Registered
126 Posts
FISH18 said:
Great idea, I just can't afford it right now, I just bought a tv, HD box etc. so I'm strapped.
You should try and find a way to do it this time around since you have no local access in the future when it may be easier financially... trust me you will be very happy with the results and any pain you may have to endure will be softened by your daily pleasure of the improved display.

I am renting my HD box because the break even is 3 years and were I to buy I likely would be upgrading by then. This way I can always swap mine for the latest version..... this technology is in the early stages and so changes to rapidly for me to consider buying.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts