Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

601 - 620 of 669 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Old Bell Receivers - Disposal?

I have had to cancel my account ... long story, but I have an old 3500 and a newer 4100 receiver. I doubt I can sell/give away either of them, so how can I dispose of them properly? I want to recycle them but they are still attached to my cancelled account - do I need to do anything?

Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks - great idea, however, only the 3500 has a smart card. The 4100 does not.

I can now recycle one of them, so that is a great start. :)

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Exactly, the 4100 is still a sought after model.

Just because it does not have a Smart Card it does not mean it needs one....

Did it work without one?
Does the Smart Chip # start with S0459****? If it does, it does not require a Card.

Not sure why you would save the Smart Cards, they are 'married' to the Receiver they come from and are useless otherwise, unless there is more Piracy down the line.....

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I did not mean to save the smart card for the purpose of hacking it but to keep it or destroy it so nobody else would try to access the card once you dispose of the receiver.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
That sounds better....lol

·
Registered
76 Posts
Thanks everyone for the advice, much appreciated.

I will recycle the 3500, but the 4100 since the smart card is internal I will have to think about. To me, it is not worth the hassle to sell it for $20. The remote control is worth more ($50 to replace them, new).

·
Registered
35 Posts
I saw a 5800 at a thrift store with the card. When I called up Bell, they said that the receiver is inactive but still registered to an active account. The customer service agent was unwilling to call up the previous owner and ask for permission to release the receiver.

Is there a magic word that will convince an agent to do this? What is the normal procedure in this case?

I also noticed that English customer service agents often have American accents. Is Bell using DishNetwork call centers now? Maybe the agent was unable to call due to the previous owner speaking French.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
A 5800 is very old, I would not even offer $15 for one of those now, just not worth it.

No magic words, it is not the job of the Bell CSR's to call previous owners.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That's too bad. I did the same with a 5900 but that was from a deactivated account. Shame to see working equipment turn into garbage.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Oh I hear you. I had to throw away over 50 x 3100's last year as they came from a building that had burned down, the receivers were un damaged. The account was closed by Bell for none payment and no way could they be re-activated, stupid rule.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Buy Own Equipment??

Hello all. So if I wanted to purchase my own used receivers from kijijji etc. and hook everything up my self, (there is an existing bell dish with 2 lnb and proper wiring from previous home owner) does bell have any issues with this? Would there still be activation fees etc? On the flipside, I don't like contracts, so lets say I went the rental route and decided to cancel after 6 months or so, would I be severely penalized similar to getting out of a cell phone contract?

Thanks for your time

·
Registered
62 Posts
I want to add a third receiver in my bedromm & was looking on Kijiji. Do I have to go to the person's residence & ask them to call Bell to release it? I seem to remember that if you had a number from the back, you could call Bell with the number to see if it could be activated, but I suppose the original owner would still have to call.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
You need to call BELL and verify that the unit can be activated. It might be a rental or stolen unit or have PPV unpaid on it.

Yes the original owner still needs to call BELL.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Thanks. I was cleaning out my garage & came across a 9241 that my parents had. I'll call to try to get it activated. Hopefully it won't be too much hassle as they both passed away about 5 years ago.

601 - 620 of 669 Posts