Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

581 - 600 of 669 Posts

·
Super Moderator
56,466 Posts
Several posts that had nothing to do with validating receivers were moved to this existing thread on buying/selling receivers. Please read earlier posts, especially the last couple of pages.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Incorrect.

All New & Refurbished receivers and 95% of used (If removed correctly by the CSR from previous account holder) can be activated on-line.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I wasn't sure. Every time Ive sold receivers in the past to friends we were not successful in adding them online to their account as it always said that the receiver was tied to another account even though I had already called in and said it was sold & have it removed from my account, so we always had to call back to have the person add it to their account over the phone.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Last time I sold the receiver Bell had called me to verify that I had sold it , even tough I removed the receiver from my account and told them that I will be selling it.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
There is another step after removing it from an account, just what that is I am not sure but if that is done, it should be able to be activated on-line.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Bell change their internal procedures so often it is hard to keep up.

At one time they would never call the customer who's account the receiver used to be on, now it seems common place.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Last receiver I bought privately I was not able to activate online. When I called in I was told bought used receivers had to be activated over the phone. Could have just been a one time thing though.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
I really think it depends on who you get and how the receiver was removed from the last account.

Sadly I have never had the chance to look over a shoulder to see what they do, or don't do.

·
Registered
3,780 Posts
Cancelled account makes no difference. The original owner has to call Bell and inform them a transfer of ownership is allowed. Even that won't work if a balance is owing.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What if the original owner is not available ? I don't know who he is.
He left a 6131 in the appartment and I want to activate it again.
Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
56,466 Posts
DJ Matt: In that case you would need to call Bell and see what they'll do for you. I would guess that the 6131 was probably rented and is Bell's property. People don't tend to leave their own working property.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Literally hundreds of Rental receivers are just abandoned by people when they move house. Just call Bell, quote the R00# they will tell you if it can be added to your account or not, go from there.

·
Registered
275 Posts
BEV Receiver needs smartcard

I have a two bell Receivers(9242 and 6141) that need smartcards to be able to be activated.I want to sell them but was is the deal when they don't have smartcards?What I mean is can the buyer acquire a smartcard from Bell.Is there a cost attached to this?Is it better if I get virgin cards and then sell them?

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Its possible that they have internal smartcards. If they do there will be stickers on the bottom of the receivers with the smartcard number. If there is no sticker there they will need cards which I believe Bell charges about $65 to replace.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
New Cards are also required if the number is S044****.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If they truly are Virgin and the Receivers need them, yes, you should be fine.

581 - 600 of 669 Posts