Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

261 - 280 of 669 Posts

·
Registered
693 Posts
I just activated two brand new in the box 3100s that I have had sitting around for a couple of years (bought online from FS that's how old they were! with one generation back cards).

No problem activating them and the new cards are being mailed out ASAP. Of course I shall wait & see if and when the cards arrive!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Activating Dish ViP722 ???

Would it be possible to activate a Dish Vip722 with Bell TV ?

I saw on ebay that i could pay less for the receiver and i was wondering if it would work ... ???

·
Registered
93 Posts
I recently put out an ad to sell my 5900 PVR. One person who has replied has asked for the receiver or smart card number to confirm that there are no charges or anything owing on the receiver. Just wanting to know if this is information that I should be giving out to a total stranger before I proceed. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Giving the receiver # will alow the other person to contact Bell and verify that the receiver can legally be sold, so it is an understandable request. They should not need the Smart Card # as well. It is worth noting that the card should start with S06, if it does not, you might be as well getting that changed before selling the receiver.

·
Banned
2,113 Posts
Has something changed.

I gave a 3100 to a friend yesterday. I called bell, gave them the receiver, smart card #s and the name of the friend. The friend then called up and activated the received. The whole thing took about 15 min. needless to say their service astonished me. Keep up the good work bell.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Receiver ID numbers are tracked in a database and the ranges associated with each provider are known. Providers will not activate a unit from another provider for a number of reasons, the main one being that it is not from their inventory. Getting a used unit to "switch" firmware between providers is not always easy (although in some cases it is) and that is another reason it is not supported. The card would have to be replaced as well, so this usually makes it cost-prohibitive.

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
I would take it a step further and say you should never give out the smart card number to someone you don't know. Having both the IRD# and CAM# could result in someone messing up your account (not saying that it will, but has more potential). Using just the receiver number a CSR can give a potential buyer a thumbs up or thumbs down on whether or not the unit can be transferred.

Usually, having a balance is not the issue (the receiver can still be transferred - the balance left on the original accoutn), but if someone is trying to sell a rental then that is definitely an issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i think this is the most retarded policy from bell. i bought a used 2700 and 5100, the owners had already called bell to tell them they were selling them. i still got the run around. the receivers were deactivated for over a year, bell could see it. they still told me to contact the owners. it happened these original owners had since died! so i had to call the people who inherited these receivers to call bell, bell would not talk to them because they did not have authorization. i dont understand if 1) the receivers have no balance, account is fully paid 2) not reported stolen or have any flags on it 3) bell can tell when the receivers were last activated and it was over a year ago, 4) the original owners had called and deactivated their account.
whats the problem for someone to buy a used receiver.

·
Registered
2,654 Posts
Bell Tv doesn't want to take chances of being accused further on, of activating a stolen machine

I belive same rule applies to cell phone

The problem is, CSR have a HT (handle time) to respect. Transfer process of a recever is not complicated, but long

The CSR have to ask the number of the receiver open the seller's account, look if there is a note, deactivate the receiver if it's not done already, remove the receiver from the account, leaving a note on the sellers account, open the buyer's account add the receiver and smartcard number, add an a/oto get the feed on the unit, then add a note on the buyer's account

Once that's dne he has to ask questions to his clients to get to know his needs, make a sales proposition, try to convice him if he refuses, then conclude the call

All that in 6 minutes or around that!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buying a used 6100 Receiver

I'm looking at buying a used 6100 but noticed some of the sellers provide a smart card and some don't. Does the 6100 need one or not? I called Bell and the tech indicated I don't but he seemed unsure too. If the receiver needs a smart card can Bell send me one or is there some long drawn out process?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Pretty sure the older 6000 HD receiver had the smartcard but the 6100 doesn't. By the way, assuming Bell migrates to mpeg4, then this receiver will become obsolete fairly rapidly since it is only mpeg2 compliant. In other words, if you decide to purchase one I wouldn't spend too much....

Just my $0.02....

·
Registered
543 Posts
You definetly need a card for the 6100. They originally came without a card but now need a card for the Nagra3 encryption. Sure would be less hassle if you got a 6100 with the new card.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have an old blue with yellow card that I kept from an 5100 that I had connected 4 years ago. Can I give Bell that smart card number to activate my receiver or send me a new card?

·
Registered
686 Posts
That old card is useless at the moment. I would call up Bell Customer Service and get the lowdown from them. Tell them you want to activate a used 6100 and have the serial number handy. I think Mpeg4 is coming next year because they need the new compression standard implemented before they can expand their HD service.....but I'm just guessing. You could also ask if they planning on allowing trade-ins when they rollout the new HD units....

As always, just my $0.02....:p

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Even if the 6100 comes with a Card it could still be the older version and you will then have to wait after activation for Bell to ship out a new one. Takes around 5 to 7 business days.

For the Card to be valid it needs to begin with S06*********.

If this is your first venture into Bell HD, do not forget that you can get a free installation...

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
If that is the Card from the 5100 it CANNOT be used in any other receiver. Well technically it can but not for normal customers.

You will need to contact Bell to have them ship out a Card for you.

261 - 280 of 669 Posts