Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Procedures for Buying and Selling of BTV Receivers - See Post 1

319459 Views 672 Replies 177 Participants Last post by  bluedrongo
I had a 3100, a 5800 and a 5900 in the house. Thinking of going HD. Question, if I get a HD receiver, am I allowed to sell the 3100 or the 5800. There are quite a few for sale (at decent prices) on certain famous auction sites. Not sure if Bev allows that anymore.

Edit by 57 - 2011.10.25. You should not sell or buy 9200 or 6100 receivers since they are being phased out and BTV will not activate them. See link below for more on the topic: (They can still be used for OTA so they may have some value to someone interested in that option)

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1342097#post1342097

1 - 16 of 673 Posts
I'm sure it has nothing to do with 'phasing out'.
It sure does. Read the following thread and my comment in it:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1341595&highlight=9200#post1341595

You (and your buyer's) timing for selling (and buying) your 9200 was just a little late. They are no longer a salable item for BTV subscribers. BTV will not activate them, because they are being phased out and they are letting existing subscribers keep them, while sending out replacements.

Same will hold for the 6100. I have added this caveat to post 1 of this thread.

PS, had you known (by following the linked thread), you could have sold the 9200 earlier, or kept your account active until this month and received a 9242 replacement. Sorry, sometimes timing is everything.
Pinza said:
Try again.
If this is the post you're referring to, the post is a bit vague on what happened or is to happen...

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=1342184#post1342184

Also, it's not spatzi who needs to call, it's the person who is purchasing the unit. spatzi is no longer a BTV subscriber (Post 442)

spatzi: Yes, OTA is over the air and the 9200 has been discussed in the OTA forum here for use as an OTA receiver/PVR with limited functionality. I believe this is the appropriate thread:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20730

billpaidJr said:
yep good idea...give it to a buddy with bell and then he can just activate it online and he can give you the new mpeg4 unit when bell swaps him out.
As I mentioned in the link in post 443 of this thread, I'm sure BTV are onto this and their computers will not allow a 9200 to be activated henceforth, otherwise everyone on BTV would be able to get free 9242/1 receivers by simply passing around 9200s.
They will not activate 9200s after the swap started, as per the recent posts in this thread (post 442 onwards) and the swap thread. If an occasional individual does manage to get one activated, it's probably a mistake.
Hi I bought a free and clear 9200 on e bay and bell tells me I cant activate it...
Stuck in Winnipeg with a big silver door stop
If you read post 1 of this thread and the link there you'll see that Bell will no longer activate 9200s. That has been the case since late October. Sorry you were sold a door stop. If you paid by paypal or credit card you might be able to get your money back - contact them, or contact the seller.
Lots of posts moved to this thread. The web is full of stuff that is misrepresented or is stolen. It is the responsibility of the buyer to check to see if what he buys can be used for the intended purpose and certainly not to believe a seller, especially if it's an individual.

There are lots of stolen Motorola, SA, etc STBs that are not activated by major cable providers (Shaw, Rogers, US) etc, yet they are still for sale. The 9200 case is slightly different in that they are not stolen, and they can still be used for OTA. Some smaller (Cable) providers will still activate Motorola STBs (even if stolen), but the trade in these decreased tremendously when the majors started refusing to activate them.

Pinza, thanks for your efforts with eBay, but since the STBs can be sold quite legally for OTA use, I don't think a blanket ban on them is appropriate.

As an FYI, there are some cable STBs that are legitimate sales - from a customer in good standing to another customer with the same cable company (Videotron, Rogers, Shaw, Cogeco, etc.)

As always: Caveat Emptor.
See less See more
I'm guessing that references someone who is no longer with BTV and has a 9200 lying around. Then there may be a slight chance of activation with an uninformed CSR (by buyer or seller). As a buyer, I would not take that risk.

If someone is still with BTV, then they should swap their 9200 for a 9242/1 obviously, even if they wish to sell.

I therefore see the discussion of activating 9200s as 99.99% dead.
Moved to existing thread. Read post 1.
Call Bell back and ask to escallate the issue. The previous owner should have stopped their subscription with Bell by now and Bell may activate the STB for your services. If the previous owner is still an active account, you'll probably have to wait until they are inactive.
She said she didn't want them
we have tried unsuccessfully to contact the owner but cannot reach him.
Which is it - him or her? If a divorce or separation this could be messy. Perhaps BTV can contact the owner if you can't?

Pinza is correct in that without the previous owner saying that the unit is "sold" it could be stolen, although unlikely if the timing of the end of the subscription coincides with the timing of the STB "transfer". Perhaps you can try harder to contact the previous owner? Some people stop their Bell subscriptions, but hold onto the STBs in case they go back, so it's not automatic that BTV transfers the activation (in case of stolen goods as mentioned before)
Moved to existing thread. Please read post 1 and the link there.
Several posts that had nothing to do with validating receivers were moved to this existing thread on buying/selling receivers. Please read earlier posts, especially the last couple of pages.
DJ Matt: In that case you would need to call Bell and see what they'll do for you. I would guess that the 6131 was probably rented and is Bell's property. People don't tend to leave their own working property.
There are occasional stories like this on Digital Home unfortunately. If you paid via PayPal or Credit Card, you may be able to get your money back by contacting them. If it's cash, you can likely kiss it goodbye.
If the original owner pays the $600 outstanding balance to Bell and advises Bell that it was sold to you, then you might be able to authorize the STB (hence the "I doubt it" comment in the above post). This item is considered "stolen property" or "collateral" by Bell.
I developed the following guidelines for buying and selling a Rogers Box:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/37-...ling-buying-used-rogers-terminal-ontario.html

Would someone please advise if the procedure is similar/identical for BTV? Thanks.
Is it legal?
No, it is against the terms of the agreement with Bell. If Bell calls your location and you are unable to provide the numbers on the screen (Location ID) for all of your activated receivers, they may shut you down, or leave only one box active. See:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/10-bell-satellite-tv/158434-bell-calling-validate-receivers.html
1 - 16 of 673 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.