Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All

I bought a Pace DC550D on boxing day for $99.00 and a Sony Bravia KDL 40EX500 LCD TV. I came home activated the box and when everything was done plugged the receiver via HDMI into the TV. However, when you turn off the TV and then turn it back on the picture comes on but there is no sound. To get back sound I have to unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in. We bough another DC550D box and tried it too and got the same issue. When I tried those boxes on a Panasonic Plasma they worked with no issues. We also treid 5 different cables from different makers like rocketfish, monster, and cable to go, changing the cable did not fix anything.

I have called the tech support for both Cogeco and Sony, both of them were not helpful. They would blame either the cables being used, each others products, and other stupid issues like was it plugged into a power bar. The tech people were useless like a wet noddle.

Does anyone have any suggestions into fixing this issue? It works when using component or composite, however it is going to be mounted on the wall making those jacks hard to get to and not a possibility. We want to use just an HDMI connection. We did not buy it to use an older technology.

Thanks for any help
Karl

·
Super Moderator
56,505 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
funguy332,

I think you have answered your own question,
Return the Sony & get yourself a Panasonic 42" LCD,
or exchange the Sony for another.
It really should not be this hard, it either works or it does not. Cogeco of course will always tell you they do not support HDMI. You do not need to unplug the HDMI cable,try just turning the Pace box off then back on. It usually comes down to an hdmi handshake issue.

I have always used Panasonic LCD tv's & never had any issue using an HDMI connection. I use the Ultralink, brand, reasonably priced,I get a good discount on them.(I use the cheapest ones they sell,v1.3 High Speed) Before anyone starts to flame about cables,Yes I know you people at Digital Forum like Monoprice & Bluejean Cable,but I do not want to buy online.When I am in a hurry I just want to go to a brick & mortar store,in my own city.

Any way your issue obviously is not the HDMI cable.

I still use a Motorola 6416 & 6412,(I am not too excited about going to the new Pace DB,as people have already reported problems with them,my guess is Cogeco bought them because they were cheap$$$.Cogeco has a very bad habit of releasing stuff before fully testing it) I have them plugged into my Pioneer Elite hdmi v1.4a receiver with no issues,(I can even upscale to 1080/24p) I can get signal pass through when the Pioneer is turned off.I now have one of the new Panasonic LCD tv's 1080p 120Hz, excellent picture quality, with Cogeco on SD & HD

Of course it works when using component or composite because you then have to use analog cables to your tv for sound.

If you you buy from a place that has a good return policy it will be risk free.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Ctaver

We already returned the TV once and we would have to spend and extra 200 to 300 dollars to get the same TV since we got a good deal on it. It had the problem right out of the box and I thinking it is a compatibility problem, because we plugged it into a Pace RNG200N PVR and it works with no issue. This makes me think that Sony quality in TVs has slipped. I also have a friend that has the same TV and is using the Motorola DCX700 and does not have this issue. This might be fixed through firmware, I do not know.

Thanks
Karl

·
Registered
84 Posts
i had such a problem with the 550D Tango, i called cogeco, they sent a tech twice, couldn't figure it out. the box was replaced 3 times, so they ended up sending me a brand new RNG200n for nothing. i was quite shocked, and pleasantly surprised. thanks cogeco!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Have you tried using another HDMI port on the TV? That Sony model should have 3 or 4 HDMI ports. Try Port 2, 3 or 4 instead. (I think port 1 & 4 are at the back and 2 & 3 are at the side)

I haven't come across this problem, but I have it setup on HDMI port 4 with a EX700 model.

If that doesn't work, you can try leaving the PACE always turned on. So if you turn the TV off, don't turn off the PACE box.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have 2 Sony TV's one a new 47 Led EX701 and a 40" W4100 LCD and I have a similar problem with my 2 Motorola 6416 Phase III's that are both hooked up through HDMI.

Sometimes when I turn on the unit then the tv I also have no sound or it can also happen if the box is on and recording and I then turn on the tv. I've found all I have to do is change the Channel and the sound then returns.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts