Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My HD channels 651, 652, 653 and 661 are not working properly. 651 and 661 are just black, 652 and 653 are showing spotted pictures, all other HD channels and SD channels are OK. This just started happening this morning.

The setup I'm having the problem is my Sony SXRD 60" and the SA8300HD PVR, hooked up via HDMI. I have rebooted several times, called Videotron they couldn't see anything wrong and will send a teckie out next week.

My bedroom has a Pace550 no problems with any HD channels there.

This has been happening all day, any ideas? SARA 1.88.14.3

Thanks,

Don

·
Super Moderator
56,416 Posts
This is often caused by low signal strength. See the Digital Home FAQ "Tips for SA STBs". The signal strength for SA8300HDs can be incorrect, perhaps the S/N ratio gives a low indication.

Also, try removing any splitters or anything upstream of the SA8300HD to see if that solves the problem. (Put the SA8300HD as "close" to the cable coming into the house as possible.)

I believe you'll find that signal strength is the issue, and if it is, you'll need to have Videotron out to fix the problem, or perhaps you can fix it yourself by appropriate cabling. Check that your (upstream) cables are all well connected, etc.

When you called them, they may have simply looked at the reading in the STB, which can be inaccurate.

You could try switching the Pace and the SA too?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
S/N: 35 to 37 dB on all HD channels.

I don't have a splitter per se, the main cable goes into a Monster Power bar HTS 1000 and then output cable to TV, I will connect directly to TV and if that doesn't work I will also try the Pace as you suggested. I'll try it at half-time.

It's just wierd that everything has been OK, since I got the new TV two weeks ago.

I'm in an apartment building with 3 units, so who knows what else is going on.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geez, hate this, didn't change a thing and now the channels are back 100%.

If/when it happens again I will connect cable directly and then try the Pace.

Thanks again,

Don

·
Registered
54 Posts
Mostly good, but needs tweeking

Hi. My 8300HD has been working really well for a few weeks:D

However, this morning I was watching a recording of channel 606 from earlier in the week and it suddenly froze; I couldn't use any of my remote buttons. I think I had been trying to fast forward. In the past when it froze, the STB would reboot itself. This time it went to live and then everything was normal when I watched the recording. Strange?

Oh, yes. Another small problem; when I try to return to watching a recording after swtching off or going live, I have to start from the beginning. The 4FF helps a lot, but it would be nice to be able to resume at the place I left.

·
Super Moderator
56,416 Posts
hmm, it should resume at the same place, provided you don't start watching another prerecorded programme.

Do a hard reboot, by unplugging the unit for a few seconds, replugging and wait about 1/2 hour for a full reboot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Does this work for an SA8000HD PVR?

57 said:
hmm, it should resume at the same place, provided you don't start watching another prerecorded programme.

Do a hard reboot, by unplugging the unit for a few seconds, replugging and wait about 1/2 hour for a full reboot.
My SA8000HD PVR hasn't keep a stopped playback location for months. I've done at least one hard reboot in the last month, so I must ask you - should my SA8000HD PVR remember where I've stopped a playback. Would the automatic live tv recording interfere with that?

TIA

·
Super Moderator
56,416 Posts
Yes it should, and no, "live" recordings should not interfere. Only if you go to another prerecorded programme, will it "forget" your place in the previous prerecorded programme you were watching.

Try this. Whenever you "leave" a prerecorded programme, don't hit "stop" or anything, simply change the channel to what you want to watch. Then go back to Ch 950 (edit - the PVR channel - 998 on Videotron) and it should be there, right where you left it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Actually, thats channel 998 (on Videotron), not 950. However, 57's procedure does work very well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to let you know about the original problem, had the Videotron tech over today and upon first look he said everything seems to be Ok, but he would check outside connections. He said something like better filters, connectors and boosting of signal strength is suppose to be done by Videotron for HD installs. I said that I had picked up the boxes and installed them myself. He said that's OK, but they should know to send a rep over to check the outside connections.

Anyway, he changed the filters, connectors and boosted the signal.

Now stats, as pointed out by tech, on page 5 -

Current FDC was -2 and now 2 to 3 dBmV
Current Qam was 2 and now 6 to 7 dBmV.

Also made the SD channels much better, so I'm happy for now. :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now they are acceptable, still not as good as if you were to watch the same show on an HD channel but acceptable. I had really considered going BEV, if things did not improve.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
vaudry said:
Oh, yes. Another small problem; when I try to return to watching a recording after swtching off or going live, I have to start from the beginning. The 4FF helps a lot, but it would be nice to be able to resume at the place I left.
If I need to leave a recording for whatsoever reason, I click on "Pause" and can come back to it at anytime in the future. I have "Last Channel", as a channel selection for Power ON (General Settings) and therefore, while on channel 998 (for playback), I can shutdown all devices (including DVR) and when I power back on, I'm back on 998 and the recording resumes where I had paused.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Signal quality.

In Gatineau the PQ looks like it was better in the holidays than now.
A videotron tech. came over and checked things out.
He says the "tuner dBmV" rating is not important...that it is the FDC dBmV we should look for.
Anyway my FDC is 9 dBmV on all channels (SD or HD), but the Tuner dBmV is different as a flip from one channel to the other. I verified and figured out that the "tuner dBmV is the same as "current QAM". That number will range form -6 to +11 depending on the channel. I remember looking at PBSHD before Jan 1st and current QAM was +4 ...now its steady -3/-4 and I find the PQ has degraded since the Xmas holidays (Gatineau region).

The tech also tells me that "all"service guys prefer the SA HD STB over the Pace HD STB.

Anyone has an opnion on the numbers I put forward and the SA vs Pace thing?

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Jlack,

I had a problem with an unstable signal such as you seem to have.

The first tech (private contractor) did a splitter change in the house and although this enhanced the signal strength, he noticed that the signal was still unstable (tuner 1 varied by a few dB much too quickly). He stated he would report the problem to Videotron as this was a repair outside the house.

A few days later, I had a stable signal.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
JALCH,

If I understand your post above you have a Current FDC Level at +9 dBmV. I am also in Gatineau (Aylmer sector), if you confirm that this is correct I will give them a call, again. As I stated in my post above, I was at -2 before last Tuesday when a videotron contractor came in and got it up to +2 and I was thrilled, well not so anymore, when you're at 9.

For anybody else out there what is your reading on the Current FDC Level and should we be complaining if it's not 0 or above? What is the average or acceptable level?

Thanks In Advance,

Don

1 - 20 of 32 Posts