Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a bit of a problem with my nice new PS3.

I am using some cheap Gamestop component cables with the PS3, and when I view the XMB (menu) or use the web browser or playstation store, things look great in 1080i, but when I play a game, the game brightness is dark. The resolution doesn't seem like it's as good as 1080i should be as well.

Any thoughts? :confused:

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
What tv do you have? Not all games support 720p. Make sure you set your PS3 to output 720p. That way your tv will get a 720p signal and then convert it to 1080i to display. If you don't have the PS3 set to output 720p, then the PS3 will downconvert 720p signals to 480p to send to your tv.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've got an old LG rear projection HDTV that only does 480i, 480p, and 1080i. It doesn't do 720p. But maybe I'll try this anyway, thanks!

Edit: No luck. Maybe I need better cables or a better TV?

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
Much like how you can adjust a number of control settings such as loudness of music, effects, or voices in a game, a number of games also allow you to adjust the brightness of the playing screen without having to adjust the brightness of your TV. Try going into the Options or Settings of the game itself to see if you can do this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
For some reason, the downloadable game "Pain" is nice and bright, but the rest are dimmer, even some of the PS2 games I've tried. Hmmm...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After doing some reading, I think a lot of PS3 games are set to display at 720p, and if it can't do that resolution, it'll default down to 480 instead of 1080i. Kinda disappointed, I would have thought the PS3 would upscale.

Guess it's time to look at a new TV!

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Which games are you havibg issues with? I have a Sharp that supports all resolutions and the new GTA is very dark on mine as well. A few others seem to be a little darker than you'd think it should be. If some games are fine then it might not be your set. Maybe it's just the game.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which games are you havibg issues with? I have a Sharp that supports all resolutions and the new GTA is very dark on mine as well. A few others seem to be a little darker than you'd think it should be. If some games are fine then it might not be your set. Maybe it's just the game.
Yeah, it's mainly Motorstorm (which doesn't do 1080i) and the demo for the Force Unleashed. Pain looks great, as do Rockband (PS2) and the XMB menu.

It's possible Sony will release an update that will upscale games, but it seems like it's been talked about since 06 but hasn't happened yet.

·
Premium Member
2,781 Posts
wgauci; mctnguy:

I refer both of you to Post #4 again:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=787998&postcount=4

To reitierate:

Much like how you can adjust a number of control settings such as loudness of music, effects, or voices in a game, a number of games also allow you to adjust the brightness of the playing screen without having to adjust the brightness of your TV. Try going into the Options or Settings of the game itself to see if you can do this.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wgauci; mctnguy:

I refer both of you to Post #4 again:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showpost.php?p=787998&postcount=4

To reitierate:

I've tried that. The screen becomes brighter, but the resolution is still low. I am convinced it's because the PS3 is downconverting to 480p rather than upconverting to 1080i.

There is a 429 page thread on the Playstation forums regarding this issue:

http://boardsus.playstation.com/pla...read.id=1543693&view=by_date_ascending&page=1

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Cyclism,... Yes, I'm aware of the ablility to adjust colour and brightness in the game menu. Thank you. :) However, the brightness of GTA has been an issue since it was released and has been covered extensively in the Sony forums.

MTCNGUY.. I haven't had any issues with Motostorm it looks great on my system. One thing you might try to improve this is to adjust the allowable resolution on youe PS3. Some of my games that support different resolutions will show the lowest resolution unless I disable the lower res. option in the PS3 setting menu. Obviously not going to work on all your problems but might improve some of the issues.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Just to be sure, make sure the PS3 is set to output 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. The PS3 will send therequired resolution for the game and then your tv should do the rest (ie, if it gets a 720p signal, upconvert it to 1080i).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just to be sure, make sure the PS3 is set to output 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. The PS3 will send therequired resolution for the game and then your tv should do the rest (ie, if it gets a 720p signal, upconvert it to 1080i).
Yeah my TV doesn't upconvert :( I'm SOL unless Sony patches the problem. They did acknowledge thew issue back in 06, but haven't mentioned it since.

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
Yeah, seems you're right. I just did all the reading in that PS Forum. To be honest, I never knew there were HDTV's which could not accept 720p signals. I used to have a 4:3 Sony direct-view CRT HDTV. Bought it five years ago (sold it two years ago) and it was able to accept 720p and 1080i.

From what I can gather, the issue is not so much with the PS3, but with the developers. So don't wait around for a firmware update. You'll need to avoid certain games until you can get the right tv.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I downloaded the demos for the 2 upcoming NHL games (EA and 2K sports). The EA version looks like garbage whereas the 2K version looks great. Guessing the EA version doesn't support 1080i whereas the 2K version does. Guess I know which I'll be buying!

This is pathetic.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Might be the case. NHL 09 demo looks great on two 1080p capable TV's...I assume the game runs in 720p though. Looks noticeably better than 08 on the PS3. Tried the demo of 09, and then 08. Framerate and details were much worse.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts