Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone...recent convert to Bell here and very happy so far.

The 9241 I'm renting has so many more features than the previous equipment I had with Videotron and one of those that I particularly like is the ability to filter the channels in the guide view according to favourites categories.

The problem I'm having is that the receiver is not saving my setting for Guide Selection in my preferences. Those of you who use this feature know what I'm talking about. Instead of getting a popup dialog box when pressing the guide button the guide would just scroll through the favourites categories you have set up.

The setting sticks as long as I'm viewing and even after a few minutes of turning the receiver off but usually the next day its back to the default popup screen.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong? Should I request an exchange?

By the way, I'm also having trouble with my Harmony One remote with lack of response for a couple of minutes after turning it on. Could the remote have something to do with this?

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks 57...I've tried turning down the contrast to 6 but that didn't work.

I'll keep going down that list of suggestions but do you think this issue would also cause the problem I'm having with saving the guide selection preference? I used the original remote to change that and it still lost the setting.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
Not sure about the guide, but I do know that people with IR interference were having the "pop up" you mentioned... What's the Make/Model of your TV? Have you turned off the auto-contrast setting, whatever it's called? Have you switched away from the default picture mode? Usually called Vivid or Dynamic? Even if only temporarily, try using "movie" or a similar mode to see if that helps - you don't have to stay in that mode...

The fact that the Harmony doesn't work for a few minutes after startup is a pretty sure indication that it's IR interference. What if you turn on the TV first, then wait 5 minutes, then see if the Harmony works "right away"? That would be a pretty good indicator too.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure that is indeed the problem. All those symptons you describe such as waiting a few minutes and then operating correctly is exactly what's happening.

My TV is a Samsung LN55B650 and tonight I will try changing the remote address. I will be sure to post the results here for anyone else who may have the same problem.

Thanks

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well that wasn't very smart of me. Changing the remote address renders my Harmony One completely inoperable!

On to further research...

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Can the Harmony "learn" the new address.?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see how it can. The process of learning is only for keys it doesn't recognize. I checked and could not find a specific setting which sets the address in the software which programs the remote.

·
Super Moderator
56,567 Posts
There is a procedure for the Harmony to "learn" the new address. I believe you put the remotes front to front and have the Harmony "learn" a couple of codes. After a few buttons it recognizes the device and you're away to the races, without having to teach all the buttons.

Someone who owns a Harmony and has done this may be able to provide a better explanation, but perhaps I've given you enough to proceed.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Also, as you are Renting, try calling Bell, see if they will ship you another 9241, with it not staying on the Guide Display you choose, there could be some kind of memory problem.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK...here's my latest findings.

To my surprise I realized tonight that my issue occurs only with my Harmony One remote and not with the remote that comes with the 9241. Does this still mean its the leaking IR issue?

On the other hand, the guide popup issue is there even with the original remote. Any way to check memory staus?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just wanted to update my issue.

Thanks to 57 and others I found the solution by covering up the IR sensor in front of the receiver. I used regular scotch tape but had to darken it with a black marker. The remote is much more responsive now but still does require a little tweaking to get it just right.

However, the guide preference problem is still there. No matter how I set the preference - using the original remote or the H1 - it still does not save the setting longer than one day. I tested this out by setting it in the morning and it works fine all day but the following day its back to the popup setting again. I suspect that there's a reset being done overnight or maybe the setting is lost when the guide is updated. The odd thing is that this does not happen on my 6131 I have on another set so maybe it is a hardware defect.

Hope my IR solution helps others out. Thanks again for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts