Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have downloaded X-lite and installed. I have also set up an account with Voip.ms. I have done the voicetest and its good. I have made an outbound call and it was good.

When I try and dial my new number, I get a busy signal so presumably I have set it up incorrectly.

Here is my SIP account settings in X-lite. Can anyone tell me what I should tweak?

Thanks in advance

Under User Details:

• Display Name: my name
  • User Name: my six digit SIP Main username given to me by Voip.ms
  • Password: my password that I created when I signed up
  • Authorization User name: my six digit account number again
  • Domain: toronto.voip.ms
Under Domain Proxy

I have checked "Register with domain and receive incoming calls"

Under send outbound via I have domain checked

Thanks in advance
Hugh

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
After lots of futzing, I finally got it to update my ID Point of Presence toronto.voip,ms in the DID settings screen and all seems good.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few minutes later, it no longer works!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After testing it seems that if I change SIP server field and save it. I can get a call in. After a few minutes, it doesn't work and calls goto voicemail.

Checked my Voip,ms account and the Main Account server says no registration found so the problem does not appear to be X-lite program.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
On my X-Lite, under send outbound via I have proxy checked and then in the address field I entered toronto.voip.ms

That's the only difference I see between my setup and yours. What do you have on your 'advanced' tab? I have the following:

Reregister every 3600 seconds
Min time: 20s
Max time: 180s

Send SIP Keepalives and Use rport are both checked.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I would lower "Reregister every xxx seconds" to 300 or so. Also, be sure that Send SIP Keepalives is turned on as 99semaj said, and that NAT is set to Yes on the Account Settings page of the VoIP.ms control panel. It sounds as if the NAT hole is closing for some reason and this should solve the problem.

m.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for your suggestions. I now have it working after making the following changes in the X-lite software SIP account settings.

I made some changes in the Topology and presence tabs. (originally I had left it at the defaults). Under Firewall Traversal I set IP address to "Use Local IP address" and turned off "Enable ICE" Under Presence, I set Mode: to disabled.

Regarding the Reregister, the default is 3600. Originally (before I made the changes above) I cut it down to 54 but it made no difference. I have it back at 3600 now with no problems.

Honestly, I'm not sure why my changes worked but they did.

The purpose of getting X-lite was to see what call quality would be like at my home. I also downloaded Whistle for my iPhone as I want to see how it would work under Wifi and 3G. Worked great in both cases.

After trying it all out and having success, I have ordered a PAP2T-NA. Later today, I am going to port my Vonage number over to Voip.ms

Cheers,
Hugh

·
Registered
877 Posts
Hugh,

Just a note - they're having issues with certain DIDs (phone numbers) on the Toronto server. However, they are launching a new server which will solve the problem. In the meantime, if your DID is ported before the new server is ready, just use the Chicago server.

Good luck,
m.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Mango.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
When I ported my number from Vonage to VoIP.ms, it took almost three times as long as the original estimate to actually get my number ported. Vonage was dragging their feet.

Here is a tip, after your number is ported you still need to actually cancel your account by phoning Vonage and telling them to stop billing you. I had wrongly assumed that when my DID gets transferred to VoIP.ms that my account with Vonage would be effectively closed. Nope.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks. I will be sure to cancel as soon as its done.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I tried out vonage in the past and purchased the ATA. On cancellation, they still send e-mails that you need to send back the adapter. This letter states after certain amount of days, you will be charged for the ATA. I took the letter and sent it to the department and informed them I owned the ATA and also called vonage and informed them of the e-mail and to ensure I was not charged. Just in case you own yours!.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Closing as solution has been found and this really isn't about Vonage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.