Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
The 3310CI used an ABIT video scaler. Better than the Faroudja in the HK, but not in the league of the Marvell (SC-35) or IDT (RX-A2000). Denon has not published the specific processor used in the 3311, but I understand it still uses the ABT-2015. The only implementations of that processor that can raise an argument that it might be in the league of the QDEO or VIDA are the Oppo BDP-83 and DVDO Edge. Denon has not put anywhere near the engineering effort into their implementation as either Oppo or DVDO. And, Oppo's moved to the same Marvell scaler as the SC-35 for the new BDP-83 in any event because it is a better scaler.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Once again Johnny Canuck thank you very much for your advice. I think that I am leaning towards Pioneer or Yamaha .
One last question for the Yamaha i am considering either the RXA3000 (It is currently on sale) or the RXZ7 what are the differences between the two and is the video scaling the same? Which would you recommend?

For Pioneer I was looking at either the SC-35 or futureshop has the SC-1525K on sale but could not really find any specs on the SC-1525K? Would you also be able to tell me the diffences between these models and which you would recommend between the two? For price all four are basically the same due to sales on some models for the superbowl
Thanks again

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Look at this first before you buy. This is a typical heavy drop in multi ch. wattage of almost all yamaha receivers. http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/content/test-report-yamaha-rx-a3000-av-receiver-1

I don't know how a receiver that has such poor multi-ch wattage performance can get such a high rating. Advertising dollars and options I guess. It drops over half its rating for 5 ch and even more for 7. The reviewer even states that it shut down when he "demanded" a WHOPPING 400 watts at once from a 5 ch setup. This is concerning unless you have fairly sensitive speakers. If you are looking at getting this receiver, I would suggest running it with an external amp so it doesn't crash on you when you want to listen to a movie loud.

I would recommend Pioneer Elite over Yamaha any day.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
It's no secret that I'm a Pioneer Elite fan for many years... and for good reasons.

1. they were the first in home auto calibration
2. to this day I prefer their approach of home calibration over Odyssey (for home small and medium sized room - for large room I prefer Odyssey)
3. Marvell QDEO upscaler -- 'nuff said
4. IIRC (but don't quote me on this) - up to VSX-33, they use Wolfson DACs (which is my favourite since my Wadia DAC days) -- note, beyond a certain level, they use Burr Brown (which I do NOT prefer) and for the SC-37 they use AKM, which many recording studios use... not as warm sounding as Wolfson, but very honest and clinical.

eimaj's shutting down experience with Yamaha have been witnessed by various Futureshop stores when they were mandated to hook up their lineup of Martin Logans to their top-of-the-line Yamaha receiver. After two days of constant shut-downs, they changed their power source to the Pioneer (can't remember which model they used at the time).

PS: if you are into second-zoning, doing home networking, Pioneer is NOT the answer for you. Yamaha is more home network and multi-zone friendly in terms of set up.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Actually, David, I've been researching the Elites on the .com site and the Wolfson is only used up to the VSX-31. For the 32 and 33, they use the Burr Brown. Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be a receiver that has the combination of Wolfson DAC and Marvell upscaler. Which do you think should be given preference?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
It really depends on how much you listen to music vs your need to upscale video.
I was lucky that I bought my receiver last summer, the SC-25, which has ICEpower amplification and Wolfson DACs. Why? because first and foremost I listen to a lot of 2-ch audio (CD). As far as movie soundtrack goes, quite honestly once I got immeresed by the movie experience (ie. the audio, visual, storyline, movie spectacles), I can no longer discern the difference between Wolfson or Burr Brown to safe my life. :).

For upscaling, although I own 2,000+ DVDs and LDs, I hardly have any time to watch them anymore so a Denon DVP-602 is suffice for my needs. I now watch mostly blu-ray anyway and with my near 800 titles (about 500 have replaced my originally 3,000 DVDs), upscaling is not too much of an issue for me.

However, if you're into Netflix, .mkv, then the Marvell upscaler is really needed.

There is a flipside solution to have the cake and eat it too:
if you buy the receiver without Wolfson, you still can get a Cambridge Audio DACmagic for your audio CDs or if you buy the receiver without Marvell, you can get the Oppo 93 and you'll get the same Marvell for your DVD, mkv, Netflix (will come as a firmware update around Feb, supposedly), heck even VideoCD.

Hope it helps a bit with your buying decision.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just want to thank everyone for their advice and I think I am going towards the pioneer, I am going to check them out today and I am sure I will be impressed. Thanks again your suggestions and advice is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Great info. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Pioneer vsx-1325-k

Thaks to all for the useful info in this thread.

From what I've read, the FS vsx-1325-k is basically an Elite vsx-33 with a poorer warrenty and FS exclusive. It has most of the techinical features I want and current (non-sale even) pricing seems to offer much more value for the technical features I want versus the other models mentioned here. Am I missing something re the 1325-k being a rebadged vsx-33? and/or is there some technical feature in this model that would be a neagtive showstopper?

Any feedback on actual experience with this model would also be much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Nothing apparent. It does look very much like a rebadged VSX-33. The 1120/1125 is a rebadged VSX-32, but there are differences. Most notable is the absence of 12v triggers. However, the 1325 seems to have the triggers and all the other connectivity of the 33. Because it does not appear that Pioneer is making a non-Elite 33 except for the FS/BB exclusive, they probably didn't see a need to de-content it at all.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.