Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to order Primus voip and noticed that if I get referred, I get $15 and the other person get $30 credit. If anyone wants to receive the $30 referral credit, pm me with your name and account/phone number. Don't worry, I won't stalk you or anything :D . Please disregard this request in a few days since I'll probably have someone by then.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Official Primus Referal Thread

Hey All,

I thought it might be a good idea to make an official thread for this.

Primus has a deal where if you refer a new customer to Talkbroadband, you get a $30 credit on your account, and the new customer gets a $15 credit on theirs. Since VoIP and Primus arn't very popular, chances are you dont know anyone with Primus, and therefore will have a hard time cashing in on this deal.

I'll start the thread with a request for someone's phone number and/or account number. This is required to complete the referral process. Whoever provides this to me will recieve the $30 credit to their Primus account. Then I'll post back with my account details, and the next person can use me as their "referrer". Once they're signed up, they can post back with their account info, and so on, and so on.

Hope this gains some popularity and everyone can save some cash!

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
DHC's phone number (using Primus) is on the contact us page, anyone can feel free to support this site by using it ;)

·
Registered
331 Posts
I wouldnt refer anyone to primus unless I really wanted to get even with them for something :D

Good way to lose friends!

Been with them since april.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you're going to bash Primus's service then fine, but please dont clog this thread up with it.

Anyways, Tony, I've used you as my referral, so you should recieve your credit soon.

The next person along can feel free to use me as their referral. My number is 250-412-7946 and its under "Nick Gailloux".

·
Registered
21 Posts
My Primus TalkBroadBand Experience, So Far

Hi All,

Thought I'd share my experience with Primus' TalkBroadBand VoIP service. First as a brief background, I've been exploring the world of VoIP for some time now. I've been using Skype nearly since its creation a couple of years ago, and I also have experience in Cisco VoIP solutions as a Network Engineer.

My connection to the Internet is through Shaw Cable using their regular service (not extreme, not litespeed). Using the Cnet Bandwidth Test (http://reviews.cnet.com/7004-7254_7-0.html), however accurate that test may or may not be, I score 1015.9 kbps.

I have connected the D-Link VoIP gateway behind my Microsoft MN-700 router. I did not have to do any additional configuration to achieve this. All I did was connect the physical layer and everything else worked "out of the box" so to speak.

As long as I am not saturating my connection with BitTorrent downloading or the like, my calls come in clear as a bell with no perceptible delay. All callers that I have asked have said that they could not tell I was using VoIP and they were all surprised to hear that I was. I would personally rate the MOS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mean_Opinion_Score) of the call at 5.

If I am using BitTorrent, call quality dramatically decreases to the point of un-usablility. I would say the MOS in this situation is under 2. For this reason, I now only leave my BitTorrent client on overnight while I sleep (and hopefully dont recieve phone calls).

Bottom Line: If you dont do a lot of downloading, or can at least curtail it during the day, and are interested in saving a fair bit of money over a regular PSTN line, I'd suggest seriously considering Primus' TalkBroadBand.

P.S. If I pursuaded you to get a TalkBroadBand line, please use me as your referee by telling Primus "Nick Gailloux referred you, his number is 250-412-7946."

·
Registered
331 Posts
nickgailloux said:
If you're going to bash Primus's service then fine, but please dont clog this thread up with it.

Anyways, Tony, I've used you as my referral, so you should recieve your credit soon.

The next person along can feel free to use me as their referral. My number is 250-412-7946 and its under "Nick Gailloux".
My apologies. I seriously feel I am doing you a favor though. I am not the only one that has said their friends are upset with them for referring them to the service. I am not trying to vent about them (I do that enough in other threads) or cause trouble.

BTW, the issues with primus is not related to call quality. Your results are typical of a proper setup. Trust me, I said the exact same thing you did in your "Bottom line" for the first month. ;)

·
Registered
505 Posts
If anyone is blindly referring friends without any qualifiers whatsoever regarding the unpredictability of performance from different locations, then they are most certainly not doing them any kind of favour.

It's like living in Edmonton, Alberta and recommending to your friend in Gander, Newfoundland that he buy a car instead of riding his bike around (because you've found it so much more convenient). But what you don't know or bother to tell him is that gas in Gander is another 30 cents more a liter than in Edmonton. So now he's mad at you because he spends a fortune on gas to save time on travelling. It's not the car that's bad, the problem is his personal circumstances.

No different with Primus, Vonage, Yak, or whatever. Throw a bunch of different ISPs, neighbourhoods, LAN setups, surfing habits, squirrels living in your attic, etc. and it's a recipe for disaster. Just tell your friends that it's a great service that they might want to try out for a month or two before cancelling their landline. If they get mad at you after that, that's their problem, not yours!

Steve

·
Registered
81 Posts
nickgailloux said:
...snip
If I pursuaded you to get a TalkBroadBand line, please use me as your referee by telling Primus "Nick Gailloux referred you, his number is 250-412-7946."
hey Nick, I used you as my referral. Just thought I'd let you know :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
How long does it take to receive the credit? I have already gotten one bill but no credit. and I to would not mind a referral credit please feel free to PM me for my number.

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm now looking to sign up for Primus - does anybody want the referal credit? For some reason I can't send PM's yet, so email me at my username @ hotmail.com

Thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts