Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had a lot of problems recently with people on the other end of the line saying that my voice seems to be breaking up.

The complaints are such that I'm going to have to drop Primus if I can't resolve it.

Anybody have suggestions?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The problem is your upload speed of your internet connection.

For example, internet providers tell you that your getting a 3Mbps DOWNLOAD connection but you only have a 384kbps UPLOAD.

This means that you hear them fine, but your outbound voice might get broken up.

As far as fixing it, I have no idea. I've only had that complaint a couple times in a couple months.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have Rogers Extreme so its hard to believe its the upload. I also did not experience any problems prior to a few days ago.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been on the talkbroadband portal and the problem seems widespread as Primus is experiencing system wide difficulties but no Primus representative has responded.

According to one poster this has happened before with Primus when they dropped the price. I sense that this is not a problem that is going to be resolved quickly.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Go to www.testyourvoip.com and do a check just to be sure your Extreme is indeed working properly. If your results are good then its likely related to Primus.
How about a bad gateway?? Have you tried it before your Router??

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put it before the router and my VoIP score was 4.2 and 4.4 so its Primus.

·
Banned
247 Posts
I am with Vonage but I did have this same problem yesterday. But then my internet was as little slow too, so I assumed it was just a "bad internet day".

·
Registered
492 Posts
as i was saying (i believe) previously .. - when i had Primus (for like 5 weeks.. before i dropped it.. as they didn't do anything at all about porting my ph # to Primus VoIP) - People on the other end, complained to me quite frequently that i was "breaking up" for them ( often - bad :( )

Sometimes (but not as often however) people on the other end were breaking up a bit for me also....

I hope that helps..

·
Registered
505 Posts
If the poor call quality was only in the last few days, then this is a Primus-wide problem and they are working on it. If you are talking about over a longer period of time, then I suggest you post your details in the Primus portal forums and the experts should be able to help you there.

Unfortunately, as much as I love the Digital Home Canada forums for everything else, pretty much all the relevant discussion for Primus customers goes on in their Portal. Posting problems here will not result in very much attention from most Primus users, and will probably just duplicate questions and answers already fully discussed in the Portal.

Steve

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted on Primus forums several days ago but no one from Primus is actually responding to customer service complaints.

The TBB portal is a nice idea but if Primus isn't going to respond, then its a huge exercise in futility.

·
Registered
505 Posts
hugh said:
The TBB portal is a nice idea but if Primus isn't going to respond, then its a huge exercise in futility.
Well, they're definitely not going to respond here, and most of the user expertise is currently posted in the portal. I guess that was all I meant.

By the way, I didn't realize that it was you posting in the portal. At least now I can make the connection. :p

Steve

·
Registered
271 Posts
For what its worth......I have been a primus customer for about 5 months now and have had no problems with break-ups. I am on Cogeco high speed.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Steve, I don't follow you. How does one switch codecs.

BTW, I continue to have complaints about break up at the other end. I will likely switch to another provider in coming weeks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Log into the Portal. Click on the Options tab, then Call Quality, and then choose the lower bandwidth codec.

I might also recommend doing the voiptest.primus.ca test immediately after a call during which there were problems.

There is a troubleshooting your ISP section in the FAQ. It suggests a number of tests that you can run to see if the problem is your ISP or Primus. 95% of the time the problem lies with the ISP (e.g. significant delay or jitter, low signal, etc.).

As much as I know you'd like to develop this forum as one where significant Primus TBB discussion and user troubleshooting goes on, I still think you're better off posting these sorts of issues in the Portal. There just aren't enough Primus users monitoring this forum to offer speedy and effective help. I've requested notification for new posts or threads, but my expertise is service related and not so much on the technical side. The true geeks post in the Portal.

Steve

·
Registered
505 Posts
One other thing...if the call breakup problems are with others hearing you and not you hearing them, then your problem is clearly one with upstream transmission. Switching to the lower bandwidth codec may solve the problem (although, depending on your network setup and equipment, it can introduce other problems), but problems in only one direction are almost always ISP-related.

I'll do my best to troubleshoot here, but I'll need you to post some info that you might not prefer in a publically accessible forum. That's another good reason to continue discussing this in the Portal. At least there is a limited number of readers who can access your info there.

Steve

·
Registered
505 Posts
A discussion on your issue has just started here . Log into the Portal in another window or tab first, and then click the above link from the same browser.

Steve

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks Styvas, on your request, I posted on TBB portal (but then I posted on July 21st in a new thread) so I'm not confident of any substantive answers.

The switching to the lower quality codec when I have excellent numbers seems counter productive and just a recipe for introducing more issues. If I have to use a low quality codec to be functional then I'll definitely switch.

·
Registered
505 Posts
hugh said:
The switching to the lower quality codec when I have excellent numbers seems counter productive and just a recipe for introducing more issues. If I have to use a low quality codec to be functional then I'll definitely switch.
The consensus seems to be that the lower bandwidth codec is not necessarily a reduction in voice quality. It does mean that fax transmission will not be successful, but I've switched back and forth between codecs and not noticed a difference in quality.

The potentially introduced problems that I was referring to seem to be related to the ISP or one's LAN configuration, and not so much specifically with Primus. But the trigger for these problems was a user switching between codecs.

Steve

P.S. I haven't been on the Portal for a few days, so I haven't seen your posts. I'm only catching up now.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts