Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one of the grandfathered unlimited accounts, and I noticed this month that my fee had increased again. It lead me to start looking back at old bills. When I signed up in April of 2005, I was paying $37.41 for service. This month, I am paying $73.33. I didn't realize how much the price had crept up over the years. And for all of this, I have never received a single notice of rate increase, or a notice when they started adding modem rental fees to the account.

Has everyone else on these plans seen the same level of inflation? It stuns me that the service costs twice as much to deliver today as it did 5 years ago. My thinking over the last few years has been to accept the occasional price increases in exchange for the uncapped downloads, but at this point its getting to be a pretty expensive 7 Mbit connection. Which I'm sure is the point...

·
Registered
181 Posts
You are lucky to still be on this plan.

They KICKED me off this plan in Dec. '09 w/o any notice and refused to put me back on when I called to inquire about the "mistake".

So I left them and went to Teksavvy.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Wow. That's a helluva huge increase. Out of curiousity, does that include taxes? I'm wondering what the pre-tax price was?

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It stuns me that the service costs twice as much to deliver today as it did 5 years ago.
It doesn't. It just costs twice as much because Bell wants to eliminate unlimited accounts.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Bell is trying like hell to get people off unlimited accounts. Hence all the UBB stuff for the wholesalers. Pricing was just announced today from our Knight in Shining armour, the CRTC.

Expect to see at least 1 increase every year, maybe 2 until they price you out onto another service tier with Caps.

The modem rental fees have always been on Bell's service. In Quebec, they just hide it in the cost of the monthly fee. They are the only ones that mandate a "modem rental fee" in this day and age.

My personal opinion would to be avoid this company at all costs, because in the end it will cost you dearly.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, I figure they are trying to price me out of the market. So I go for volume. I make sure to use at least 200 GB every month. I download everything any of my friends who are capped need so that they don't exceed their caps with simple things like Netflix. So I think I'm still ahead of the game, but that gap gets narrower each year.

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
what speed is that service?

·
Registered
243 Posts
You could get 200gb with a Fibe account and a few GB insurance packages for the same rate.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
That's still not technically an unlimited account. It may very well happen that Bell continues to increase pricing on us grandfathered account holders until it gets stupid expensive. But until then it's principle of the thing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts