Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

41 - 60 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
The only other possible one is firewire and I don't think many have it, even if it does, I think it only works with cameras - I could be mistaken.
Correct. I've tried it with my Pioneer and firewire and you're right, it only works with a camera.

meshmellow

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's very odd that there are only a few people who seem to be reporting this issue. I guess not many people record from the STBs, perhaps using the DVD recorder only on direct analogue inputs.
I hope I'm not a rarity. I pretty much only watch HD channels (unless there is no option), therefore it is from those channels that I'll want to record, when appropriate, to the DVD recorder. It does not make sense that these are "record-blocked". Manually switching the STB to 480i (which is the workaround) should not make a difference, when 480i is what my DVD recorder receives regardless - because of the analogue connection. Can anyone help with this or does Shaw need to be made more aware of this issue and make changes on their end?

·
Super Moderator
56,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I would suppose that the more people that complain, the more likely Shaw may do something about it, however, you may simply get one of Shaw's canned responses which are not correct - see posts 33/34 above.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have sent an email to Shaw describing the problem and why it should not be a problem. Hopefully others will do the same. If Shaw responds in any way that will be of value, I will post the results. Cheers.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm using a DCT-6200 with a Panasonic DMR-EH55 DVD recorder (with a hard drive) on Shaw in Burnaby...
This is similar to my setup, except I have the Panasonic DMR-ES25;no HDD, just DVD record. The STB was connected to the DVD with S-cable, and I got the copyright message on all channels, not just digital ones. Last week, Shaw reset my box and all was well for a few days. Then today when I tried to record the copyright message came back (while recording Rick Steeves on PBS!) I called and asked Shaw for another reset, which worked.... and I told them I'd be phoning in future for further resets. The CSR suggested I hook up the video with RCA cable instead of S-video, (theory being that the broadcasters are sending anti-copying signals-I really think not)so I've tried that and will see if that holds up. The picture looks like crap though-I might trade the S in for a decent chunk of composive video cable. I'm recording to DVD-RAM, and recording from the coax analogue input on the DVD works fine...but can't record the digital channels via STB, and Combet Sheep is on BBC tonight!:D

·
Registered
79 Posts
Again!

Sadly, I must report that the problem I described earlier ("Copyrighted material. This content cannot be copied. Cannot record." message) has happened again. I was attempting to record "Elizabethtown" on MC1 (Movie Central) on channel 60. Earlier in the evening, I had successfully recorded "Saw II" on MC4. Unplugging and re-powering the DCT-6200 STB (a "reset"?) cleared the problem once again, but I didn't get to record the whole movie. :(
This makes recording through the STB a hit-or-miss proposition. Sometimes I'll get lucky and succeed, sometimes I'll lose. Not very satisfactory, is it? And it seems to me the problem lies either with Shaw, or with the STB.
I'd be grateful for any suggestions on how to prevent this from happening - the "workaround" is not acceptable.

·
Super Moderator
56,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Does the workaround of setting the STB output to only 480i work while you are wanting to record? A reboot only seems to work for a while, then the STB reverts to "I will not let you" mode.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Workaround by Setting STB to 480i

Does the workaround of setting the STB output to only 480i work while you are wanting to record? A reboot only seems to work for a while, then the STB reverts to "I will not let you" mode.
I didn't try that, but next time (I'm sure there will be a "next time"), I will.

·
Registered
43 Posts
FYI, here is Shaw's response to my inquiry (as a reminder, I can DVD-record from all channels except HD, and switching to 480i on my 6208 allows for recording from HD channels - but then of course, I have to give up HD when watching or switch back and forth inconveniently).

Anyway, paraphrased from Shaw's voicemail:
The problem is not with hardware or the cable signal. It is part of the program encoding itself from the networks and is related to protective digital rights management.

Tech support sounded friendly and helpful, and sounded like there was nothing they would be able to do. I will perhaps call to try and push a little further, but I currently do not see a solution forthcoming.

·
Super Moderator
56,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
If the networks were including some sort of "Macrovision", then other service providers like Cogeco and Rogers (and all the American Service Providers) would have this also and that is simply not the case since it has not been reported - only on Shaw.

People on other service providers like Cogeco and Rogers have actually reported back that they don't have this problem, that's why this thread has been moved back into the Shaw forum, from where it was earlier.

Also, if there were Macrovision, the workaround of setting the STB to 480i or a reboot would not allow recording.

This is a Shaw issue - they just won't own up to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I agree with you, 57. The Public Relations person at Shaw told me they made a mistake in putting up the barrier to recording, especially on the Movie Channels, and they were not allowed to do this. I just got a PVR, though plan on continuing to use my DVDR...will see what happens when I try to record to it with a different digital box. Meantime, have not heard back from Shaw as to how they plan on reversing this.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Setting STB Output to 480i

Well, I tried it this morning, but... :( 480i is an "unsupported mode" (message on the screen of the Samsung HLN467W) because the connection between the STB and the TV is via component video.

I had the "opportunity" to try it because, once again, I got the "Copyrighted material. This content cannot be copied..." message this morning after I had set a scheduled recording for tonight, but, as has become my procedure now, I tried to record what was currently being broadcast, just to improve my chances that the scheduled recording will work. Doing the "unplug STB and re-power STB" reset has cleared the problem for the moment, but I'm at risk from the STB going "bad" again before the scheduled recording tonight. Not at all a satisfactory situation.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Recurring "Copyrighted material..." Error

Despite my checking in advance (about seven hours ahead of the scheduled recording time) to ensure that the STB and DVD recorder were able to record without encountering the error message, I returned home from dinner out to see the "Record" light blinking (instead of shining steadily) on the DVD recorder. As feared, the scheduled recording (A&E, channel 31, the movie "Firestorm: Last Stand at Yellowstone") failed to record, with the usual "Copyrighted material..." message.

If I could figure out what's triggering the situation, perhaps I could come up with a solution.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Same thing happened to me. We got a PVR this week, I have finally got it set up properly, along with the DVDR, and tried to record a 2006 movie from the PVR to my DVDR today....took about 35 seconds and up came the message about copywritten material. I had hoped with a new Digital box that this wouldn't take place. Same thing from TV directly to the DVDR.....only on the Movie Channels.

I contacted Shaw again today, and was told they are still doing some "investigative work".

If and when I hear anything, I will pass it on.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have the STB connect to a Pioneer DVR-220. Before VOD came along it was possible to record off the S-Video input all of the HD channels. After the implementation of VOD, the "copyrighted material" message comes on when trying to record HD content. Only way to avoid it is to use the 480i workaround - a pain to have to change the STB resolution just to record.

A weird thing though with the Pioneer is that if the DVD recorder is powered down after setting the timer, when it tries to record the timed program it wouldn't record and displays the "copyright" message for all the channels including the MC channels. However, if I set the timer and leave the recorder on, it records without any problems. Don't ask me why, but it will only work this way with scheduled programs. No problems with just pressing the record button and recording whatever is showing.

Whether it is just particular to my recorder or the particular Pioneer model, I don't know. Anyways, can't hurt to see if it works with your recorder.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I live in Surrey and I had this problem as well when VOD came out. I didn't chang e any of my equipment but I decided to try it again about 5 months ago and I can copy again without a problem. I do not even have to switch the box to 480i! I am using S-Video into a Toshiba PVR with a hard drive and I am able to edit the program on the hard drive and burn to DVD. I just hope Shaw doesn't read this and decided to check their settings for Surrey.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Update on "Unable to Record ANYTHING Through STB"

Same situation and setup as previously described in a message describing an earlier problem (i.e., recorded a movie "First Daughter" overnight on TBS channel 46, followed by scheduled recordings of "Driving Force" and "Driving Television" on analog channels on Sunday morning) - all recorded without a problem.

Go figure! It doesn't appear the problem likely arises from how I set up the recording (e.g., sequence of prior events, scheduling through TVGOS, etc.) The problem pretty much has to be with Shaw, I think?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well, I've reached a certain cable box detente as far as the recording goes: the copyright crap only comes up when I try to record a HD channel, so I've just stopped doing that. Not thrilled with the solution but I'm sick of calling Shaw.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just an update. I am still waiting for an answer from Shaw regrding the inability to record any of the Movie channels...movies made from mid 2005 on. Shaw has admitted it is their problem but tell me they are waiting for a response from Calgary as to how to deal with the problem.
Will let you know when I hear anything new. I am not giving up

·
Registered
34 Posts
My most recent reply from Shaw:
As previously mentioned... some programming content is
> copyright-protected at the producer's request, through either
> Macrovision or CGMS-A technologies.
>
> We are not aware of Shaw customers in other areas being able to
> somehowby-pass this technology and our investigation has not yet
> turned up any
> info to the contrary.
>
> We are continuing to investigate and hope to provide you an update
> whenwe hear.

I emailed back with the previous quote regarding macrovision that was posted. Will let you know when I hear more

41 - 60 of 202 Posts