Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PC Mobile has launched their first HSPA device, the Nokia 7230. Perhaps more notable than the device itself is that the MVNO PC Mobile now has access to the Bell/Telus HSPA network. PC Mobile's previous handsets have all operated on Bell's legacy CDMA network.

There is no word on when or if PC Mobile will sell individual SIM cards necessary for subscribers to use their unlocked own devices, however it should be possible to purchase the 7230 and use the SIM in another HSPA 850/1900 device.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I find this very interesting as I have an old PC mobile phone with a huge positive balance on it...I've used it basically as an occasional emergency phone, but a move to HSPA would open up other possibilities.

I recently bought a PC mobile SIM...what I would like to do is insert this in an unlocked phone and move my existing service, including phone number and balance, onto this new SIM...anyone tried this?

One hurdle I have now is I havn't yet aquired an unlocked phone...doesn't seem to be the easiest thing to find in Canada?!? What I'd really like to do is get an unlocked Android smartphone, insert the PC mobile SIM, and also use it for 3G data access. Anyone know what PC mobile charges for data? I'd even like to occasionally setup an Android smartphone as a mobile hotspot.

Any advice or recent experience from others would be welcome!

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I don't think there is data as such. I think there is unlimited browsing, which is not data. I use unlimited browsing with Speakout on an unlocked phone. I got a T-mobile phone (nokia 5230, $119 US) from Fry's in Vegas and then asked T-mobile to unlock it since I had an account with them. Fry's also sells unlocked phones for good prices but I don't know what shipping to Canada would be.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts