Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in a small rural community. Our particular neighbourhood is about 300 homes. Surrounded by farm land. Next closest neighbourhood is about 4 Km away. closest City is 20km away.

we’ve just entered into an agreement with bell to bring high speed fibre to the homes. Catch is. We need to prepay for 3 years.

we’re getting the better tv package, 2 receivers and 1.5 Gb service. Comes to about $70 month, paid in advance. Amazing deal. We can extend the 3 year contract for another 2 years if desired.

has anyone ever heard of a deal like this? Bell said they wouldn’t have come here for 5+ years if we didn’t agree to pay up front.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I am in the midst of working on an arrangement with Bell for FTTH to 100 rural homes. The deal requires a contribution to the build cost and no service commitment. I know of 2 other similar arrangements. I sent you a pm.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Bell wants to regain their costs. Paying up front for that long is unusual. Contracts are not unusual but may be limited to 2 years by the CRTC. I'd be sure there is a way to get a refund or to transfer the service in the event that a move to another address is necessary. If not, I'd pass. SpaceX Starlink should be available in most areas of southern Canada some time next year. In some locations it could be as early as next month. It will be more expensive though.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I would jump on it if there is an exit for late install or poor service like speed.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
If your nearest neighbour is 4 Km, there won't be much business on that line, unless it happens to be passing you on the way to elsewhere. In that case, even 30 years payment won't approach the cost of installing it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
But maybe the next closest NEIGHBOURHOOD already has the fibre infrastructure installed. Then if Bell can offer this to the 300 homes for 4 km of trunk and the local connections it might be profitable for them and if they get reasonable take up of the deal. They are being pressured by the Feds to extend high speed internet into rural areas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bell internet is no anywhere near us at this point. And it’s the only good option. Right now, I’m on OTA wireless at 10mbs

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Bell internet is no anywhere near us at this point. And it’s the only good option. Right now, I’m on OTA wireless at 10mbs

I've never considered Bell to be a "good" option. ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would like to see the Bell proposal to compare with the one we received. See my pm.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,179 Posts
Bell may already be receiving a federal subsidy for extending the service. If not, contacting the local MP may get some money from Ottawa and a better deal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts