Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We don't have need of a cell phone, however my wife has a Samsung C414M flip phone on a Bell prepaid plan with her for emergencies.

As her phone has seen better days, I got the bright idea to gift her an LG G6 which I did. I was thinking, "okay, I'll just log on to our Bell account and transfer the prepaid plan from the Samsung to the LG. NOT!

Bell in its finite wisdom, will not allow the new phone on a prepaid plan. If we stay with Bell (not going to happen) we have to enroll in an expensive plan that likely will not get used all that much.

Long story short, off to Zoomer Wireless we go! Bell just lost another customer due to its archaic plans.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yeah,I also think that its strange as my wife had an old Blackberry with a prepaid plan and she got an LG G5 and all they did was change the Sim card size with the same plan.
As for me I use a Bell Tablet plan(works just as good on smartphones).Gives you 1GB a month of internet.For calls you use the Fongo App or the Talkatone App and for Texting you use the Text plus App.Only costs $20 a Month.Bell and Virgin(same company) are the only ones that will allow the Tablet plan on smartphones!

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
I did something similar some time ago. Took the SIM out of a flip phone, broke out the micro-SIM and put it in an unlocked LG G2. Didn't tell them and the phone worked fine. Transferred it to an unlocked G4 a couple of years later. Bell can have some nasty policies toward customers in order to make them upgrade services. The best thing is to switch carriers.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should mention that this information came via managing our account online at mybell. I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I logged in a second time and got the same response.

The LG G6 is not eligible (according to Bell) for prepaid service. I only wished I had known this after I purchased a new SIMM card from a Bell store earlier today. The clerk in the store graciously offered to set up our new phone for $50 but I declined. Seems odd that the store clerk never mentioned ineligibility of the new phone for prepaid service.

So now the new phone is locked to Bell as I inserted the new SIMM card before learning this, which shouldn't be a big deal when we switch to Zoomer Wireless.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Actually any phone can be used for pre paid. What you probably encounter is the online portal does not have the ability to swap your SIM or your wife's old device was cdma so the only way to transfer it is to go to a bell store or call a live person on the phone. This is one advantage of having a human vs automation. Automated systems are not always bright so take everything with a grain. Of salt and no need to change carriers when u have issues. Why might u ask? Cuz problems can always be FIXED.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Ok I just checked that phone is not cdma it's UTMS so it should have a SIM card. But the LG probably uses a smaller SIM card so u likely have to go in to the store and buy the smaller nano SIM and have bell do the SIM swap. These are not really big issues stores do things like this all the time and it's nothing to worry about and yes u keep ur number and airtime balance u don't loose them those are myths that must die.

·
Super Moderator
56,434 Posts
...u likely have to go in to the store and buy the smaller nano SIM
Rogers just trimmed my old SIM. I was perfectly willing to pay $10 for a new SIM, however, the kind lady trimmed the SIM and even spent some time doing the basic setup of my iPhone since there weren't any other customers waiting. All at no charge for a $10/mo PAYGo customer. Not bad.

But yes, all this should be easily resolved with a trip to a store and any phone can now be unlocked by the provider at no charge. See the previous link I provided.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
A lot of SIMs these days are 3-in-1. You just break out the size SIM needed for the phone.

I've run into things that couldn't be done on the Bell web site that could be done by a CSR. It's best to call if the web site doesn't work. I've also run into cases where one CSR said something couldn't be done but another CSR just went ahead and did it.

Any compatible phone can be used with PAYGO service. If the phone won't support the same protocols, or the PAYGO plan doesn't include them (like some voice over data services) it won't work. I doubt that would be an issue with a G6 though.

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
Ok I just checked that phone is not cdma it's UTMS so it should have a SIM card.
If the phone won't support the same protocols
All new phones support UMTS. CDMA is dying and GSM isn't far behind. UMTS is an enhanced GSM, using the same CODECs etc., but adapted for packets, rather than time/frequency slots. Of course, newer smart phones are now supporting VoLTE, which is essentially VoIP, customized for use on the cell network.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
The first batch of SIM cards that companies like Rogers, bell, etc released were just the standard size. They did not have the punch outs for micro or nano. In theory they could be cut down to size with scissors yes but one word of warning the smaller SIM cards have less electrical contacts and positioned differently than the bigger ones so in some cases u might be trimming the metal contacts as well as plastic which is advised against. Even the reps of the stores are trained to NOT cut your SIM down with scissors due to company policy

·
Registered
275 Posts
Cutting the Larger Sim card is one thing but it also needs to be sanded down because its to thick.This is a poor man's remedy that can end up ruining the contact pins inside the phone.Better pay a few bucks for a legit nano card.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
The local Rogers outlet would not trim my SIM card. However the CSR did suggest I go visit the cell phone kiosk in the mall. They happily trimmed the card for $10. It worked just fine.

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
They happily trimmed the card for $10.
SIM card trimmers start at $2 on eBay. That makes it a very profitable sideline.

Depending on the carrier and circumstances, new SIM cards cost from $0 to $10. Unless there is a need, like data stored on the SIM, it would make more sense to buy a new SIM.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I should mention that this information came via managing our account online at mybell. I couldn't believe what I was seeing so I logged in a second time and got the same response.

The LG G6 is not eligible (according to Bell) for prepaid service. I only wished I had known this after I purchased a new SIMM card from a Bell store earlier today. The clerk in the store graciously offered to set up our new phone for $50 but I declined. Seems odd that the store clerk never mentioned ineligibility of the new phone for prepaid service.

So now the new phone is locked to Bell as I inserted the new SIMM card before learning this, which shouldn't be a big deal when we switch to Zoomer Wireless.
Hi Gentleman,

To me it sounds like you are trying to "ACTIVATE" the LG G6 on a NEW LINE on Bell Prepaid? THe phone may be ineligible for Activating on a NEW LINE, possibly due to the features in the device which may not work on bells prepaid, but that does not stop someone from CHANGING from one device to another using an EXISTING line/customer to use such phone. A lot of people get confused and try to activate new lines when they simply need to change the sim card of their existing line.

Some times the error messages are cryptic and do not give a full explanation of why this can not be done, however as stated before, a lot of people in Canada have come from Europe and they have had sim based phones over there much longer so a large amount of the population is already familiar with changing devices on 2G, 3G and 4G networks by swapping the sim, they also know not to believe a lot of the error messages that providers give on their self serve portals.

I could be wrong tho but yes it seems that if you have to change sim cards as newer phones use the smaller nano sim which they often call an lte sim (but its really called a 4ff sim) and older devices like the one u posted use the larger 2FF sim, yes it can be cut as mentioned on here before, but some 2ff sim cards have more rows of contacts on them, which the smaller sim cards (3ff, 4ff) do not utilize, and by cutting the sim card down instead of purchasing a proper one, you run the risk of shorting out something inside or damaging something inside. trust me this has happened before to people i know.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi again folks:

In answer to Paolo, no, this was simply an attempt to TRANSFER service from one phone to the other. No activation of a new line. I was so surprised, I actually went through the process twice and got the same result.

My next course of action will be to call Bell tomorrow and see if a CSR can sort this out. If it turns out that the new LG is ineligible for prepaid service, I've been in communication with Zoomer Wireless to begin the process of porting our phone number over to their service.

The only reason we have prepaid service with Bell is their coverage is excellent, but I understand Zoomer piggy backs on the Rogers wireless network so coverage should be good.

I'll report back once I've gone through a Bell CSR and let you know what happens.

Thanks all around for the suggestions.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
I'm surprised you have not attempted to phone them yet.

Now excuse me if I'm mistaken cus the Bell self serve portal may have certain differences with prepaid vs post paid accounts. Here are some options I see on mine: "Transfer service to another device" and "Transfer service to a new SIM card" Since I am familiar with how GSM and UTMS works, I will choose this option "transfer service to a new sim" all it asks me to do is enter the new sim card ICCID and to confirm, and voila, the new ICCID card should be activated and you can simply pop in the card into your new LG G6 phone and away you go.

This looks pretty straight forward so I am unsure why you were getting the runarround, maybe you chose a different option online or you have a prepaid line and the menu options are different, but any phone can work on prepaid. the fact that bell does not sell a phone for prepaid should not stop someone from using it if they really want to this is the beauty of GSM and related technologies such as UTMS, HSPA, and LTE.

By the way, any technology from 2G GSM and higher, your service is actually provisioned to the SIM CARD, not the phone itself. Bell does not need to know what phone your using nor should they care where you obtained it from, they simply activate the simcard to your account and you pop it in.

Now the only exception to that are some features on post paid accounts work with certain handsets only such as VoLTE, wifi calling, video calling, visual voicemail, etc. so yeah you can use the handset but some features on that handset may not be available, but the phone itself will still function 99%

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
By the way I tried the "transfer service to another device" online and it asks different information, it asks to enter the device IMEI. What I think bell is doing by this is they are checking if their internal policy dictates if that phone is eligible for the type of service you use, so if bell does not sell this model as prepaid, im guessing a message would tell you its ineligible, but like i said before, how gsm and related systems work, the carrier does not need to know what handset you have so yeah they probably have to tell you its ineligible because they have a policy created and have to stick to it, but that should not stop someone from getting a 3ff micro or 4ff nano sim, and swapping the sim online using the transfer service to another sim card and away you go.

I remember when iphones were NOT sold for prepaid/pay as u go lines, but people managed to still find a way to use them on their pay as u go, usually a relative gets a new iphone and passes their old one down to you and you simply pop in your sim, or if your sim is a different size you would go to the store to buy/activate it, or if your a tekkie like me, you go online and choose the option to change your sim only, NOT THE DEVICE, and away you go.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
By the way I tried the "transfer service to another device" online and it asks different information, it asks to enter the device IMEI. What I think bell is doing by this is they are checking if their internal policy dictates if that phone is eligible for the type of service you use, so if bell does not sell this model as prepaid, im guessing a message would tell you its ineligible,
BINGO!

Finally had time to call Bell and yes, the issue was related to the IMEI number. Bell does not sell the G6 as a prepaid device, hence the issue I was encountering. However I had a great Bell CSR on the other end who resolved our issue.

Our new LG G6 is now functioning on our prepaid plan and wifey couldn't be happier now that her new phone is also paired with her brand new Outback.

Happy wife, happy life! :smile:smile:smile

Thank's everyone for the ideas and support. Digital Home is the greatest.

Cheers,

1 - 20 of 20 Posts