Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys... I am finishing my basement and just doing some pre-wiring work and have a newbie question that I know someone here will know the answer to. I have purchased a bunch of Leviton customizable low-voltage plates and jacks to get the job done for wiring. No questions on cat5, phone, RG6, and speakers - done this all before. But I do have a couple of questions on the RCA 110 Jacks (see http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ibeCCtpSctDspRte.jsp?section=10516&minisite=10026 for picture).

I originally assumed that to make these work I would just run a usual RCA-type wiring through the wall (for computer audio and for my subwoofer) so went out and bought this. But then noticed when I look at the back of the jacks they have IDC slots for termination as opposed to the RCA-style like on the front. The box states that they distribute signal over UTP cable. So my question is for computer audio (20 ft run to AVR) and for subwoofer (35 foot run to AVR) applications, what kind of wire would I purchase to run inside the wall that will properly connect to these jacks for these applications / distances? I have a tons of CAT5e left over - is this appropriate / thick enough to get the job done?

Thanks!

·
Registered
233 Posts
Actually, the way I read the product info, these were really meant for Cat5e/6 wires so that's what you should use.

Btw, where'd you buy those leviton 110 ports? Can't find a similar product in mono price so I'll use the levitons instead.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feeback, guys. I'm gonna call around today to see if I can find a normal RCA-RCA style jacks (even if it's the entire faceplate) without the use of UTP cable and IDT slots.

les, I bought these locally from Home Depot... but they are aso carried by RONA and Canadian Tire I believe. It's not cheap to do an entire setup but makes things looks so much better. I paid about $600 including all wiring for my basement with some good discounts, but am wondering if I should have done more research into wireless.

·
Super Moderator
11,128 Posts
HD and Rona charge an arm and a leg for networking material. My punch-down keystones from Mono were about $1 each. But I considered wireless as well. Problem is I have devices that work way better with Ethernet. I also know that CAT6 can carry other signals (like HDTV via HDMI repeaters) in the future.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After calling around I managed to find true RCA - RCA plugs at a high-end electronics store so will go with those. They are not made by Leviton, but fit into their cover plates perfectly! Thanks again for the responses.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
For Leviton style plates, I've used these from, Parts Express with terrific results:
the inserts can use RCA-RCA, or F-RCA, or other combos such as these shown in the related items.

Then you need to merely run decent RG6 to each drop.

Leviton Quik-Ports connectors are also good, and you'd only need to use CAT6 (or CAT5E) as well.
(I've used these as well)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts