Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I've had this problem ever since day 1, anyway to battle this other than record the show after the one I want? It is just so annoying that the end gets cut off. I wish they have the option of record an extra 5min extra on any selected recording. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

· Super Moderator
59,109 Posts
When you schedule your recording, set the start or stop time to add a few minutes to compensate for the lack of non-standard start or stop times. This has been around since roughly 2004.

You may need to do this on a weekly basis (schedule a single episode recording each week), depending on the programme you're recording. Most programmes have standard start/stop times and do not suffer this malady, but the ones that do, must be programmed in a special manner since the IPG from Rogers (supplied by TV Guide Canada) is not accurate. Or you can do what you have done and record the following programme.

For all episode daily programming it's possible to extend the recording time and have it "stick", however, for any (all episode) recordings that happen less than twice a week, extending the time doesn't hold, unfortunately.

Edit 2010.11.16 - with the new firmware extended recordings seem to now "stick" and work.

· Registered
72 Posts
This extra add on minute stations do anymore make recording very difficult at times. Hard to add 1 measely minute and because of this you can't record 2 things afterwards. Wish the guide would be precise if it is to go over , it would tape it since if you look on internet guides , they do say when they are to finish.

Would be nice if Rogers could do a 3 taping for a maximum of 3 minutes perhaps so it is easier to tape at certain times. I know usually Wednesdays , I struggle since I watch lots of shows on that night

· Super Moderator
59,109 Posts
Not really, however, it's Rogers IPG supplier that doesn't supply accurate IPG information for programmes that regularly go 1-2 minutes over/under time (Lost, Leno, etc). The Rogers IPG seems to be limited to 5 minute increments and I'm not sure if this is a TV Guide Canada issue, or Rogers firmware. Until the IPG is accurate for these programmes that regularly run 1-2 minutes long or short, the workarounds discussed previously will be required.

As for sports/special programming, etc, "everyone" knows you should extend recording time for those.

· Super Moderator
21,288 Posts
It sounds like a limitation of the IPG software that runs on the Rogers STB. Shaw uses the TV Guide data and it is accurate to the minute. Scheduled programs that end a minute past the hour record properly.

Occasionally we get a TV episode that runs over but that is usually incorrect data provided by the network.

· Registered
72 Posts
I go to Zap2It Tv listings and it tells me exactly when shows end and start so it is not the networks and not a last minute change, it is Rogers to blame on this . Sports is something that is obviously not controlled in time . I always used it for LOST as that was a show that was always adding time on . If Zap2It Tv listings can have the actual program time, I can't see why someone as big as Rogers can't as correct me if I am wrong, but I believe even SHAW has programs ending 1 minute after if they do.

· Registered
2 Posts
program timing issues/missed recordings

Is there, any time in our future, a chance that Rogers will actually start and stop programs at the scheduled times?
Failing that, could they perhaps move into the 21st century and issue a firmware which acknowledges the start and end points of programs which would automatically compensate for over-runs and/or late starts?

There are certain programs which I regularly have to record along with the program before AND the program after, just to ensure I get the missing 2 or 3 minutes of the program I actually want [usually the missing part is the end].

I think the techno-dorks who write the firmware need to speak to the techno-nerds in programming to understand what's actually in the non-video data of the digital stream and to start actually utilise it more fully to allow the digi boxes to start & Stop recording at the right time.

It's not rocket science, the Sat/Cable boxes in Europe have been taking care of programming timing slips for over 10 years..................

· Registered
1 Posts
In Europe they use a system called PDS (Programme Delivery Signal). It's basically a code sent with the TV signal. It indicates the "real" start and end of a programme. I really enjoyed this system when I still lived in Europe. No problem if a sport event delayed later shows, or if the live show to be watched was longer as planned; I always got the whole programme I wanted.
The system originally introduced for analog video recorders was adjusted for the digital age.

I am wondering that something which got invented in the 80s was never introduced in North America.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.