Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Telus TV for 2 years now, and MR for just over a year. HD PQ is very good (you can tell it isn't as good as OTA) for me, better than Shaw HD that my late in-laws had.

Visited a friend this weekend who, ironically, designs Telus's network in one region of B.C. He told me he was at the very end of the line (neighbours literally just across the street could not get TTV). Service is 1 HD/2SD profile. With just one box running HD, and nothing using the internet, PQ (of a cable-only HD channel) was pretty bad. Blotchy (not macro blocks but just uniform pattern where there should be texture) among others. Did not check a broadcast channel.

PVR was set for 1080i and the TV was a 1080p 52" Sony LCD connected by component.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Picture quality should be the same no matter where you are, AFAIK the bit rate for the streams is constant.

If there is a noticeable difference it is likely with the quality of his TV or the settings on it.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think the PQ is different from area to area. I have test my PRV box different tv, Different LCD monitors.. All give the same poor HD, very compress picture quality.. I got better HD picture and sound when I was with Shaw on there crappy old silver digital box. When ever you looked at water scene, say from Discover World HD.. On Shaw HD box you could see it was HD... On Telus? 330 or 430.. It looks like downgraded version of DVD. Any water/ocean pictures are jumble mixed pixals on the screen..

There is NO detail on anything with deep water/rough water. Its all compressed to jumble of pixials..

I don't think it's my tv. cuz my ps3 plays blue Ray fine..
and I did not have that issue when I was with shaw.

Netflix gives me better HD pictures on my bran new LG 42 inch Tv.. with good HDMI cable. Short one.

I am starting wonder if these IPTV box are really true HD?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts