Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i realized when ordering a ppv movie on the weekend that it asked 'purchase and record this airing?'

i'm just wondering how long will the movie remain on my pvr? until i delete it? or a day, longer? just curious as obviously sometimes the airtimes for movies aren't when you would like to watch, so if i can just purchase and record it at anytime and leave it there to view later, then that would work perfectly, plus we could pause if need be etc.

thanks

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
It should stay on the PVR. However, you may be billed more than once if you watch it more than once. I forget the exact window but it's either 24 or 48 hours after the initial viewing that triggers another billing.

·
Registered
227 Posts
What? There's no way that's right. How would they even know how many times you've watched it off your PVR? Not everyone has the receiver hooked to a phone line, but rather orders PPV by calling in, which then charges the customer and unlocks the movie or event. After that there is no way they can tell how often you watch it or how long it's on your PVR.

·
Registered
7,131 Posts
When connected to a phone line, the receiver reports back every time the program is played. Not sure how they work it when no phone line is connected but I had to have a phone line connected to enable instant PPV.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
My guess is that you would only be charged once but when you think about it, it is called pay per view!

·
Registered
227 Posts
I guarantee that even with phone line connected, the unit does not report back each time you watch off your PVR. You pay once and once only regardless if u tape it and watch 100 times over the course of a year even

But just for fun I've emailed SD to confirm this. I'll report back when they answer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I record every UFC, keep it for weeks & often watch parts of it several times over (showing friends the main event or a good fight, etc) and I have never been billed more than once (that thought had never even crossed my mind).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts