Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone else noticed that the 800 number for pay-per-view now only works from a phone number attached to the Bell account. I use my cell phone that is not on Bell and cannot connect to the number but if I try my house phone it will work fine. I believe this is a new change.
Can anyone confirm? 866 686-7337

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
I called 1-866-686-7337 from my cell phone and got the automated response. I've never subscribed to Bell Satellite, so they would have no record of my number.

I think the problem is with your cell phone provider or maybe long distance is blocked on your cell phone.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called 1-866-686-7337 from my cell phone and got the automated response. I've never subscribed to Bell Satellite, so they would have no record of my number.

I think the problem is with your cell phone provider or maybe long distance is blocked on your cell phone.
Thanks. Are you a bell cellular subscriber?

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
Thanks. Are you a bell cellular subscriber?
Yes I am, although I don't think that should matter. Keep in mind that not all Bell satellite subscribers have a Bell phone. Bell doesn't have residential landlines in the 3 western provinces and not all satellite subscribers will have a Bell landline in the eastern provinces.

I don't see any reason for Bell to block non-Bell phones.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
It could be that the request was blocked because Bell could not verify the number. This would be to stop people from spoofing numbers to make false PPV requests. Numbers from landlines and major cell providers can be verified. Numbers from VoIP providers cannot. If an independent cellular service provider is routing calls through VoIP it probably would not be traceable to the source.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Strange. I try from my Shaw home phone and it tells me it’s out of service.

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
I use my cell phone that is not on Bell and cannot connect to the number but if I try my house phone it will work fine.
I try from my Shaw home phone and it tells me it’s out of service.
I'm confused.???

I was actually going to mention in my last post that there were problems with Shaw home phone years ago where if a Shaw phone customer in Winnipeg called certain numbers in Winnipeg, the call would not go through. I thought those interconnect problems had been resolved, but perhaps not.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm confused.???

I was actually going to mention in my last post that there were problems with Shaw home phone years ago where if a Shaw phone customer in Winnipeg called certain numbers in Winnipeg, the call would not go through. I thought those interconnect problems had been resolved, but perhaps not.
Sorry about being unclear there. Here’s the accurate info:
Home phone (Shaw) -says number disconnected
Bell Cell phone - works fine
Sasktel cell phone - says number out of service.

·
Super Moderator
16,699 Posts
@slash are you dialing 1-866-686-7337, or are you skipping the (1)? Some cell phones insert it automatically, but land lines typically do not. Here's a related thread that made me think of it.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@slash are you dialing 1-866-686-7337, or are you skipping the (1)? Some cell phones insert it automatically, but land lines typically do not. Here's a related thread that made me think of it.

I am using 1. This used to work fine for years so I am assuming bell put some sort of filter in place.

·
Registered
8,708 Posts
I tried calling from my Koodo cell phone
Koodo is owned by Telus which has close ties with Bell. Bell blocking some third party telecom providers for selected services is not surprising. It's a cheap way to solve security issues and also reduces competition. That's just how Bell does business and partly why I won't deal with them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Koodo is owned by Telus which has close ties with Bell. Bell blocking some third party telecom providers for selected services is not surprising. It's a cheap way to solve security issues and also reduces competition. That's just how Bell does business and partly why I won't deal with them.
Thanks for your comments. Could you tell me who is more ethical to deal with? I am in SK. Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts