Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use VOIP (w/ Vonage) for my phone and am unable to connect two lines to my phone adapter (no space to fit a splitter).

So, to order PPV I usually unhook my phone line and hook up my 630 to the voip adapter.

Can anyone tell me how long the 630 needs to be connected to the phone line to order and record a PPV movie?

Usually I connect the 630, order the movie then force a reportback and disconnect the 630. Then after I have watched the movie I usually reconnect the 630 to do another reportback so that the movie goes into my purchase history.

However, when I did this last week, the movie I had ordered will not play past the 6 minute point, even though it says it recorded the full 2 hours.

I'm not sure if it's because it wasn't connected to a phone line while recording, or if the 630 just screwed up and it's a bad recording.

Must I be connected to a phone line when the movie begins and while it records or am I fine so long as I've forced a reportback after ordering it? (In this case I ordered it the day before it was on.)

Any help would be appreciated. CSRs just tell me I have to be connected all the time which is not helpful.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I use VOIP (w/ Vonage) for my phone and am unable to connect two lines to my phone adapter (no space to fit a splitter).
???

I have Vonage to and am able to fit a three-way phone splitter to the back of my voice box in Phone #1. I have one line going to my cordless phone setup, second line going to my computer for Caller-ID on my computer and the third line going to the 630.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My phone adapter has the outlet for the power cord right next to Line 1, so a splitter will not fit beside it. The splitter is too wide, it sits in front and blocks the area where the power plugs in.

I've been hunting for a splitter that has a longer input on it (so that it would extend above the power cord nub) , but can't find one. Four electronic stores have told me such a thing doesn't exist.

I tried a phone cord from line 1, into a cord extender, with the splitter in the other end of the extender, then the two phone cords from that, but it didn't work.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Maybe phone up Vonage and see if you they will ship you a new adapter or exchange for a reasonable price. They only have one adapter listed on their website and that is the one I have. Other than that not sure why the way you described trying to connect didn't work.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I tried a phone cord from line 1, into a cord extender, with the splitter in the other end of the extender, then the two phone cords from that, but it didn't work.

Any ideas?
Then there is something wrong with the splitters/cords. Plug in a regular cord if that's all there is room for and use a coupler on the other end and plug your splitter into that. Make certain your splitter is actually a splitter and not a 2nd line adapter. 2nd line adapters look the same but pull out the 3rd & 4th leads in the jack and move them to the centre two pins to access a second phone line run in the same phone cable.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
My phone adapter has the outlet for the power cord right next to Line 1, so a splitter will not fit beside it. The splitter is too wide, it sits in front and blocks the area where the power plugs in.

I've been hunting for a splitter that has a longer input on it (so that it would extend above the power cord nub) , but can't find one. Four electronic stores have told me such a thing doesn't exist.

Any ideas?
You can buy splitters with cord as part of them. Plugging in, in any way works as a splitter.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, bought a brand new splitter and coupler and now it does seem to work -- sometimes…

When I force a reportback, I often get a "failed, no carrier" result or "connected, but failed, no Acknowledgement" response…

Do I have something set up wrong on the 630 or GaryE on the vonage end? Did you set up anything specific?

The phone is working fine, I even switched the phone and 630 in the splitter, still the same. Phone cord from receiver is the new one that shipped with my 630.

Any other thoughts?
(and thanks to all for the help, it is appreciated)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All good now!

The 630 seems to be doing it's daily reportback no problem, so it must be working.

Guess it doesn't like you to force a reportback.

Must have been a faulty coupler or splitter like ae_collector suggested.

Thanks for the help everyone!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts