Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Optik installed for about 2 weeks now and had it essentially come to a stand still last night. I have a feeling that it might have something to do with the wiring since the 330 would display pixelation quite often. Although the house is only 10 years old (it could be the crappy splitter they installed as well).

I could not even get the 430 running this morning, but tonight plugged it directly in to the router via ethernet and it started running immediately.

My question is has anyone tried running Optik TV over powerline ethernet adapters? I have Telus coming back out on Monday to see why everything froze up and will be playing with the stuff over the weekend. I don't have any ethernet runs in the house, but am already using a powerline adapter for my Blu-Ray player.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Power-line over Ethernet was actually trialed as an installation method a long time ago. It wasn't reliable enough to use due to so many factors in a home that can disrupt it on the grid. Major appliances, power surges from neighbours, air conditioners can all have an impact on it.

It worked great in some locations so if you have it already in your home there wouldn't be any harm in trying to use it, just don't expect it to be supported. Ethernet is Ethernet once it's modulated on either side, whether it be coax or power-line.

Good luck and don't call in if it doesn't work! ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
If your house is only 10 years old, your phone jacks might be wired with cat5 cable. If they are you can use it for phone and ethernet.(1 pair for phone 2 for ethernet) It's not optimal theoretically but it can be done.

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I have 3 powerline-Ethernet devices in my house (none connected to Optik TV, mind you) and it's working great! My PS3 is connected to the powerline and I can play HD content without problems (router is upstairs and PS3 is downstairs). I also have two Asus OPlay devices on the powerline as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was having problems with a STB in a spare bedroom (connected through coaxial cable), really odd problem in that the HD content streamed live had no problem in this bedroom, but when streaming recorded HD content from the PVR (PVR is connected to DSL router through regular network cable) I'd get stuttering...normal recorded programming was not a problem.

Anyway, since I had two other items in the bedroom that was connected to my network wirelessly which I could possibly hard wire through powerline (a computer and printer), I thought I might as well see how the powerline network may work, with hope it would remove the stuttering.

I've been running the powerline network now for a few days and the stuttering has disappeared, if it returns or I have other problems I'll let you know. All this to say Powerline can definitely work, but mileage may vary, as someone else mentioned, Telus may not formally support this type of setup.

·
Registered
11 Posts
powerline kills optik

Telus install optik tv a few months ago and its been working fine, ethernet over coax (default setup).

Today I bought the dlink dhp-303 kit and just plugging the powerline wall-warts into the wall (no ethernet cables plugged it, etc) causes optik tv to pixelate and then cut out.

Why would powerline ethernet interfere with HPNA through the AC circuits alone??

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
I had that happen to me when the adapter was on one specific socket of my powerbar. It's on the same powerbar as the Optik TV receiver. I moved it to another port and it's been working fine ever since. I get almost 20Mbps consistently.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts