Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
D-Link Canada announced this week that it is now shipping Xtreme N routers capable of reducing the home owners power consumption without sacrificing performance.

Now available and incorporating the Green technologies are the D-Link Xtreme N Gigabit Router (DIR-655) and the D-Link Xtreme N Gaming Router (DGL-4500). Consumers who purchased these products can also take advantage of the power saving features by upgrading the firmware of their router.
Upgraded my Router and took advantage of the new scheduling feature to shut down the wireless portion of the router during the night.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Now when reading this, one has to ask:
"How much power is this really going to save?"
My router uses like 20 watts (I don't have this router). That's a drop in the bucket in terms of my entire energy use.. 30% of that is even less.
I mean, sure, it all adds up, but was it really necessary?

Being a simple firmware upgrade and all, it's easy to deploy and effective, but in reality, it probably wouldn't be required.
(Or am I wrong in this thinking? Is there considerable power usage by this router?)

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In absolute terms, I agree its not significant but if everybody used an energy efficient router and switch and computer then it would make a huge difference.

As far as I'm concerned, I like the fact that they are using less and energy, using less packaging and reducing harmful materials. In addition, if you can save 30% on every device you own that runs 24/7 you could save a fair chunk of change

1 - 3 of 3 Posts