Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a royal PITA! Power was out for about 4 hours today and I lost all my settings. Had to call in 3 times. First re-set the router for internet. Checked to see if tv was working and then left the call. Then had to call again to reset the WLAN settings, lost SSID and encryption settings. iphone, wii, PS3 and laptops connected ok. Then tv was freezing every 2 minutes and had to reset router and then STBs. TELUS should post a FAQ regarding power outages. Missed the Canucks game. Everything works now but I wished the phone techs would have enough patience to completely follow through to make sure everything works before jumping off. They must be paid to quickly resolve or the queue during the outage must have really backed up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm not sure why you had to do anything... I had a planned power outage recently to clean my electrical vault and when the power came back all the modems and boxes just booted up and worked. Its not normal to require any special set-up after a power outage.

·
Banned
548 Posts
This only happens with an Actiontec if YOU changed the default settings. Upon restart the setting may return to default, although even that would only happen if there was something to cause the router to reset which would certainly NOT be normal. Turning off any of the Optik routers or STBs will result in nothing more than the lights going off until power returns. There are no memories etc involved that "lose it' with a power failure. Power outages, unless accompanied by surges, are no different than turning the equipment off, everything returns to normal when you turn it back on.

- another TELUS tech

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a 2 piece Dlink and small black box set up. Took over 4 hours to complete. Not sure why maybe there is a WAN router in my neighbourhood that also went down. Who knows? Techs were pleasant enough but really rushed through.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts