Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Power Consumption of LCD Sets w LED backlighting vs. Traditional CCFL backlighting

Interesting today. I was at a Sony presentation viewing the upcoming XBR8 sets which feature LED backlighting.

Sony gave us the following power consumption specs for various LCD models

• 55XBR8: 480W
  • 46XBR8: 350W (23% more than the 46XBR6)
  • 52XBR6: 295W
  • 46XBR6: 285W
With the 46" LED model, the power consumption was 23% higher than the same sized traditional CCFL backlight XBR6

The 55XBR8 consumes over 60% more power than the 52" CCFL XBR6. Now obviously you would expect the 55" to consume more power the the 52" CCFL since its a larger screen but 60% more is considerably more than I anticipated.

·
Super Moderator
11,340 Posts
Now that is a head scratcher. Did they boost the range of brightness? I mean maybe typical consumption is down but max consumption is up if you select torch mode. Just spit-ballin' here.

·
Super Moderator
57,067 Posts
That may be peak consumption. With LED backlighting some of the LEDs will be off part of the time, while the CCFL sets consume basically a constant amount of energy that is proportional to the backlight setting.

There's really no way to tell anything from this until you hook up a Wattmeter to a calibrated TV and compare over a period of time. A comparison at different picture modes, may or may not be valid, until you averaged the power usage over time, depending on the programming you watch - if there's lots of black for example.

·
Member #1
47,683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please discuss pricing in the XBR8 thread. I really want this thread to be about power consumption for LED backlighting vs. CCFL.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I saw that on Sony's website yesterday and was hoping that it was typo.

I was really confused on this but then I realized that I was confusing CCFL with CFL's

Given the improved efficiency of the CCFL, I guess how it compares to the LED's would depend on the number of LED's in the TV?

Still seems high though.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.